Did I mess up this interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BirdietheCockatiel

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, probably a neurotic post here. After speaking about how I thought my strengths included frequent self-reflection and growth, I was asked what my New Year's Resolution was. I actually haven't thought about it and like an idiot, said that out loud. I came up with something about being more patient and learning to be ok with things that are out of my control. This was an anesthesia interview at my top choice and looking back, this is sounding like a cliche answer to me now. Otherwise, I think the rest of it was fine. Am I just being neurotic for no reason?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're fine, you didn't need to have some thoughtful profound response they were just trying to have a conversation.

I got asked the same question recently and just went "Oh yeah I didn't even do that this year, errr maybe I'll make it eating less of these" and shook a bin of granola bars I had nearby on my desk. Got a laugh, they weren't disappointed I didn't say "making myself the best intern possible! 🤓"
 
Dude just relax, I hadn't thought about it either, I think resolutions are bunk. Just be normal ( I think in this case you were indeed normal)
 
When it came time to ask your interviewer questions, did you ask what their New Year's resolutions were?

You only messed up as badly as you believe. If it were me, the resolutions question gave you a chance to show me how self-reflective and dedicated to continuously grow was. But I also know most people don't follow through with them after a few days. (Gyms should be less busy by mid-January.)