Did I pigeon hole myself in the Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just started as an M1 at Wayne State University in Michigan. I had other offers from the east coast such as Thomas Jefferson in Philly or even the military medical school (USUHS) in DC. I got a full ride at Wayne which drew me there but am now worried because I have an interest in pursuing dermatology outside of the Midwest on the east or west coast. Did I pigeon hole myself into only matching in the midwest due to regional bias? I was considering doing a research year between 3rd and 4th with the NIH or something to improve my chances at matching outside but I'm nervous I'll be stuck here for residency. I don't hate it here but I've been in Detroit my entire life and really really want to move for a bit.

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

I just started as an M1 at Wayne State University in Michigan. I had other offers from the east coast such as Thomas Jefferson in Philly or even the military medical school (USUHS) in DC. I got a full ride at Wayne which drew me there but am now worried because I have an interest in pursuing dermatology outside of the Midwest on the east or west coast. Did I pigeon hole myself into only matching in the midwest due to regional bias? I was considering doing a research year between 3rd and 4th with the NIH or something to improve my chances at matching outside but I'm nervous I'll be stuck here for residency. I don't hate it here but I've been in Detroit my entire life and really really want to move for a bit.

Thanks for any insight!

Dermatology tends to be region in terms of interview invites but the best applicants will get invites everywhere. I would focus on being the best possible applicant you can be.

If you are considering a research year and would like to branch out from the midwest, I would definitely do your research year elsewhere.

You will also have an opportunity to do away rotations to hopefully expand your network.

In the end, for most average derm applicants, your best chance to match is usually with your home program. If you are above average, more options will open up.

Dermatology tends to be region in terms of interview invites but the best applicants will get invites everywhere. I would focus on being the best possible applicant you can be.

If you are considering a research year and would like to branch out from the midwest, I would definitely do your research year elsewhere.

You will also have an opportunity to do away rotations to hopefully expand your network.

In the end, for most average derm applicants, your best chance to match is usually with your home program. If you are above average, more options will open up.

Thank you for the response! Do you know which out of state derm programs might be the most friendly to out of region students or where I might find that info? Also, can you apply for research years at specific schools? The only ones I've come across are the NIH program and other national scholarship programs like Doris Duke.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's too early to worry about this. If you want to move somewhere, aim to do always in that area. At the end of the day, the west coast and NYC is tight

Thank you for the response! Do you know which out of state derm programs might be the most friendly to out of region students or where I might find that info? Also, can you apply for research years at specific schools? The only ones I've come across are the NIH program and other national scholarship programs like Doris Duke.

This info changes rapidly. As PatsyStone stated, I wouldn't worry about this so early. I'd focus on being the best possible applicant you can be. When the time draws closer to select a research year or away rotations, you'll want to speak with freshly matched students to get the most up to date information. There isn't a central data bank for this info unfortunately.

Many programs will have research years (some paid, some unpaid). Again, you'll have to do the legwork in looking up the programs, seeing if they offer a research year, and going through the application process

Two things:

1. There's plenty of good programs in the Midwest. Living there for another 3 yrs is not going to kill you. If your goal is to match in derm, you need to get rid of your own regional bias. Even if you match into a "bad program", you'll be fine. You just need to match. 90% of derm residency is what you make of it. I know plenty of excellent dermatologists who trained at what were, at least on paper, mediocre programs.

2. If you graduate #1 in your class and crush step 1, you will get interviews all over the country. The farther you are from that, the more your interview radius decreases. So as asmallchild said, just be the best applicant you can be and don't worry about anything else. Just crush medical school, get some derm exposure (aways if you can't get it at home) and don't worry about anything else. It's just not worth it.

This is definitely true. I've talked with a couple of program directors (including mine) and if you want to apply to a certain region, having away rotations there is a good way to display interest. For example if you've been in the Midwest your whole life and you do a couple away rotations on the West coast and the East coast, that will show people you are willing to relocate. However, if you do not do away rotations, for better or for worse that sends the message you want to stay in your region.

You got a free ride for med school. Enjoy it. Be the best you can be in your coursework and Step 1. Get active in research and make sure you choose your away rotations wisely. Don't be the student that rotates at all away programs and doesn't rotate with your home program expecting them to accept you. That home program might be important for letters of rec which can play a role.