Did my life just get ruined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MI3PEO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If all that is true, that is really unfortunate OP, but I don't think these two are deal breakers - adcoms can correct me if I am wrong. Also, if you are depressed then please seek professional help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very sad.

Brutal honesty: Disassociate with drug addicts.

Although, your stats look good. @Lamel summed it up nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If convicted, your medical career is over. All persons are innocent until proven guilty.

On secondaries, there are prompts for "Have you ever been arrested? Have you ever been convicted of anything other than traffic tickets?

You will have to answer yes, because their will be records of these. You'll be given the chance to explain.

But having a fake ID is one thing, and lying to Mr Policeman about it is quite another. I am not sanguine about your chances.

Hello all and thank you for your time. I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to include almost all of the details. It also felt good to "talk" to someone about it

I am currently in a terrible situation with the law. I've had two run ins with the police, here is how they ended:

Two years ago I was at a bar on my phone writing someone a text message, a fight broke out behind me. I turned around to see what was happening because I couldnt hear anything (music too loud). When I turned around I saw a group of 4-5 people fighting. The group to my left consisted of two really large men, probably 230+lbs. One of them threw a punch at a person to my right, I stepped towards the group and grabbed the guys forearm as he was about to hit the other guy. I managed to keep him him from connecting. I then proceeded to push the two sides apart. After they quit trying fighting/ arguing I left the bar. As I was outside, someone mentioned that they had called the police. The two groups were outside as well. At this point, I never thought I had done anything wrong. I stuck around and waited for the police in case they wanted a witness report. Well the police show up and handcuff one of the people in the right group. Im hanging around talking to one of the police officers that I know and some girl walks up to me with another police officer and points at me. He called me over and then told me to turn around and place my hands behind my back... etc. I thought he called me over to ask me about what happened... He made me sit down on the ground. Then, he asked me for my ID. I told him it was in my wallet in my back pocket. He pulled out my wallet and out of my wallet pulled out my fake ID instead of my real one. He asked me if that was me. Out of fear of the situation, I replied yes. (I had never ever had any situation like this happen to me at the time. He ran my ID and nothing came back. He asked me for my name which I stated; It wasnt the same name as on my fake. He flipped out and got in my face yelling at me, cussing me out..etc. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in anyway with the fake, but I didnt want to say "No officer that is my fake ID." The police then took the handcuff off of the guy in the right group and handcuffed another guy in the same group. I asked the officer what I had done and kept stating that I hadnt done anything wrong. He told me I was being charged with simple battery to which I stated "WHAT? I never hit anyone!... I tried to break it up why would I even be in trouble." He proceeded to tell me that simple battery charges can be pressed even if you slightly touch someone. This situation was such bull**** and I cant believe I was even arrested for doing what I thought was right. Nevertheless, I was also charged with resisting and officer for having a different name on my fake ID and for false identification. So, simple battery, resisting an officer and false identification.. All misdemeanors. In the police report for my arrest it stated that "suspect grabbed a person without their consent".... WTF.. Anyway, I was given pretrail diversion for the charges.
I dont think this will be an issue.^

Fast-forward to two days ago. I had a friend over at my apartment. I was writing a lab report and he was smoking pot. I hadn't been, and hadn't smoked in practically 3+ years for multiple reasons (Smoking just makes me really really tired and lazy, its illegal, I used to be a nursing student, I was/am constantly in the medical setting (drug test possibility), my school is full of narcs, and more). Someone knocked on the door, I looked over at my friend because I didn't know who it was and wasn't expecting anyone. I told him to put out what he was smoking and answered the door. Who is it? Two narcotics officers, just f-ing great. They claimed that they smelled marijuana and wanted to come inside. I demanded to speak to my lawyer, they denied me the right (illegal?). They tried to step into my apartment to which I denied them access and asked them if they had a search warrant. One of the officers because really pissed when I said this. He told me "if you wanted to be a smart ass you can wait here while I go do the paperwork and get it signed." It was about 30* outside and I was wearing shots and a Tshirt. They had us waiting outside sitting on the ground until a couple more narcotics officers came to watch us. The door to my apartment was still propped open. I didn't want to let them in my apartment because my friend still had about half of a blunt to smoke and I wasnt sure what he did with it when I opened the door. After two hours of sitting on the cold concrete (it was terribly cold), they showed up again and we all went into the apartment. They asked if I had any firearms..etc to which I answered no. They asked me "how much are we going to find," I said " I dont know," but what I mean to say is "I dont know what youre talking about." After searching my apartment for 1-2 hours they found a small baggie of pot in a drawer. They asked whose it was, to which we both denied. The officer kept getting really pissed because both of us were denying that it was ours. At this point, I thought that my friend had set me up. I thought this because, 5 minutes after he came they knocked on the door and now there is suddenly weed in my apartment as well. Anyway, they tried to play good cop bad cop with me, they tried to tell me that if Id just be honest it would be a lot better for me and all of this stuff. I kept reasserting that I was being honest; The officer kept getting more and more mad. They kept trying to ask me questions that would make me indirectly say that it was my weed. At this point I stated that the situation was going to ruin my medical career. They stated that first time possesion charges for small amounts dont lead to much and that after expungement it wouldnt be seen by anyone. I stated that it wasnt mine again and explained to them that its not about the fact that its a misdemeanor and it can be expunged, but the fact that any charge or expungement can be seen on an application. I also tried to explain the seriousness of a drug charge in the medical field and how it practically ruins everything. They didnt really care about what I had to say. They called a K9 unit to the complex and had the dog search my car. The same main police officer came back and said that the dog smelled that I had pot in my car recently. WHAT???... Anyway, I believe he was trying to intimidated me into saying it was mine which he had been trying to do the whole time. I denied it and so did my friend. My friend had already been charged with a marijuana charge and the officer stated that since neither of us wanted to accept ownership of it that we would both get charged. I didnt want my friend to get jail time over it so I told the officer that if that was the situation that he should just give me the charge. He then said, "So its yours." To which I replied "No, but there is no point in me getting a charge, and him getting a charge and going to jail versus just be getting a charge." They then got ready to leave and the officer came back in and kept talking about how I need to be honest with him for the 500th time. He said that they were pissed that they spent resources (search warrant paperwork Im assuming) to only find $20 worth of weed. Im assuming that they thought I was a drug dealer because of my higher end car and they'd expect to find god know what in my residence. He wrote me a court summons, did nothing to my friend and left.

I spoke to my friend and asked him if he had anything to do with them showing up, he denied it and denied that he had put the weed there. Of course, in this situation it's "No ones" weed. The issue is that nothing in this situation is helping the fact that I had no idea there was weed in my apt. Practically everything points to me knowingly having it there. The smell in my apt., demanding to call my lawyer, not letting them search my apt, the dog "smelling" something in my car, ash in a can, a lighter on the table by the side by friend was sitting, cigars on the counter, so on and so forth.

I have yet to hear from my laywer, but this is such bull****. I dont know how the world I can even prove I had no idea it was there. I practically can't from what I see. I know that I made a huge mistake by letting my friend smoke in my apartment and by practically even being friends with him since he had a drug charge. I feel terrible, blank, depressed, upset, confused, and everything else possible. My explanation also just sounds like the biggest BS story in the world. I wouldn't even believe it if I heard it. I'm not sure what to do and if my medical career is over.

I am very passionate about medicine and don't/can't see myself doing anything else. I do not want to give up on medicine, but what am I going to do now. This is such a terrible situation for me. No matter what I say, do, feel, and think the fact that pot was found in MY apartment and the fact that I'm being charged with possession doesn't change. I still dont know whose weed it was, how it got there, or how long its been there as I havent used that desk since I moved into the apartment two weeks ago. I still feel like I may have been set up by someone since they just showed up to my apartment like that.

I have put so much effort, time, and money to get where I am. I love, love, love medicine and helping people. I do not want to do anything else with my life. These two legal situations don't make it seem like it, though. I have lost all drive to study for my classes, to study for the mCat, and to live... I feel like my application to med. school wouldn't even be looked at because I look like such a bad person, which is untrue. If I were to get an interview, I feel that the Adcom would just think I'm lying out of my ass and would deny me immediately. From what I've been reading, I might as well just grab all of my books and anything related to medicine/school and throw it away. My life has practically been ruined in my point of view. I hate this situation, I hate myself for what happened, and I feel hopeless now. I feel as if all of the studying, volunteering, shadowing, and research I do from now on is going to end up being for nothing after I get my application denied immediately and I get laughed at by the "CRIMINAL" look that I have put off through these two situations.

What advice do you SDN members have for me? Can I still hope to continue with my education, apply and hope that I will get a chance to explain myself or should I just drop out of school and live the rest of my life hating myself while being constantly depressed.

These probably won't matter, but here are my stats: Junior - Biology major, 3.85 GPA, 250ish hours shadowing, biology research, random volunteering, expected mCat score (current) - 32ish.

Please excuse any grammar mistakes. Thank you all for your time.

I think I must have misread this.... but I got the assumption what he's been charged with is misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance. Shouldn't he be able to distance himself and have a chance (albeit less)?

And seriously your "friend" made his choices. You shouldn't have covered for him.

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to say that it's really unfortunate that our country is so rough on minor misdemeanor offenses. We've all committed minor crimes at some point in our lives, and most of us were fortunate enough to not be caught. A person should be punished for the crime, and then move on. That's the way the system is intended to work. A misdemeanor should not ruin your chances of having a good career. It's a sad reflection on our country that it does.

Reactions: 6 users
Alright dude, here's what you can do. First, get a lawyer and try to make a deal. Your lawyer can emphasize to the DA the severity of the punishment you'll face if convicted, so perhaps you can just do some community service or something. It's important that you absolutely do not change your story at any point. Be extremely polite and considerate to all of the officers and the DA. Be humble, apologetic, well dressed and groomed, etc.

Secondly, don't screw up your grades while you're dealing with this. Maybe take a light semester.

Thirdly, once it's all said and done, pay for a few background checks on yourself. Research what kind of reports the schools actually receive, and see if you can get the same thing. Of course your recent events may take months to show on your record, if at all.

At that point, you'll know where you stand. If you've already applied this year, it's going to be difficult to get all of this sorted out before medical school starts. That's a problem, because they could kick you out if you don't disclose something, without refunding your tuition. A 1-year deferment is an option to consider, but I would wait as long as possible before doing that.

If you haven't applied yet, I would wait and see what ends up on your background check before proceeding. I'm going to sound unethical for saying this... but if I were you, I would only disclose on applications the information that appears on my background check. If they find out that you're hiding something, you obviously won't get in. However, if you fully disclose, you *also* probably won't get in, and now they're going to for sure know about it.

Anyway, finish your degree no matter what. Keep your grades up. Pay a lawyer $1000-$2000 to worry about this **** so that you don't have to. Buy multiple background checks. Maybe apply next year, maybe give it some time.

Reactions: 4 users
You have only yourself to blame for your own actions. As a patient, would you want a physician who regularly got in trouble with the law?

As I kept reading (and I read the entire thing), I just couldn't understand why you acted so stupidly. Being honest is one thing but trying to lie about your ID and then trying to defend your friend made no sense. It doesn't make sense to me why you would defend your friend and try to get the charge on yourself when you know what this would do to your career. So I really have no pity as harsh as it seems because it seems like you did this to yourself when you could have easily gotten out of both situations. Look out for yourself before others because you are the one that is getting screwed now.
Aside from that, I hope you the best of luck with your legal proceedings because you really need to get cleared of the weed charge. Just be honest with the lawyer even if it means your friend may be charged.

Reactions: 4 users
Disregarding how BS it is that you can be arrested for having a dimebag of weed (let alone that officers can CLAIM to smell it, and thus start ****ing your **** up), you made an incredibly profound mistake in accepting the charge on your friend's behalf. This looks for all the world that you felt guilty for him getting dragged down with you, and will be taken as an admission of guilt to many people (including adcoms, although they may not admit it). I point this out because you NEED to get a lawyer to get these charges dismissed, and (s)he NEEDS to know you said something that stupid, to have any chance of helping you.

As Goro said, several secondaries ask about arrests, in which case you will have two strikes on your record with those schools that it's already too late to evade. Given the combination of a serious first offense + any second offense, I would simply not waste time/money applying to any such schools at this point. SDN has secondary prompts for each school thanks to collegial forumgoers - do research to figure out which schools are least likely to ask about arrests when you're ready to apply. You should probably expect to apply to a big assortment of MD and DO programs.

Your numbers are good, but they won't help you in this mess. At least they don't pose yet another obstacle.

I suspect the bag in your drawer is a leftover from when you used to smoke - they are thorough searchers. Regardless, cut off the "friend" who let you take the bullet for him unless you are 100% sure he didn't do anything more than light up in your place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If all that is true, that is really unfortunate OP, but I don't think these two are deal breakers - adcoms can correct me if I am wrong. Also, if you are depressed then please seek professional help.

Individually, probably not. But together, and separated by several years, paints a much grimmer picture of OP's judgement. The whole is much greater than the sum of its parts.

Lol, if people who smoke weed are drug addicts then so are people occasionally drink or consume caffeine regularly.
I don't drink.... but lets' see

Regular marijuana user vs. occasional coffee drinker = Valid argument on the spot?
Regular marijuana user vs. occasional alcohol drinker = Again really?

So... let's drop occasional

Your coffee argument is asinine and I won't be dragged into that. As for alcohol sure an alcoholic is just as bad as a drug addict.

-My personal views (what you really want to talk about) Yes drug laws need to be changed..... doesn't mean denying science though,

I'm addicted to coffee. Loud and proud.

But back on topic, OP you made a series of pretty bad decisions. I know in these situations you often don't have time to consider the consequences of your actions or what you say, but your story demonstrates a pattern of extremely poor decision-making. One of the several misdemeanors/arrests wouldn't have affected you that much, but you will potentially have 4 misdemeanors, one of them very recently.

I wouldn't apply this year. You need time between the incident and applying to demonstrate maturity and responsibility. A character letter attesting to those qualities would be beneficial. As would participating in an EC that demonstrates those qualities.

Regular marijuana user vs. occasional coffee drinker = Valid argument on the spot?

Your coffee argument is asinine and I won't be dragged into that. As for alcohol sure an alcoholic is just as bad as a drug addict.

-My personal views (what you really want to talk about) Yes drug laws need to be changed..... doesn't mean denying science though,

Where is the science that says marijuana is more addictive than alcohol or caffeine? Why would calling someone a drug addict be the default assumption that needs to be DISproven? That's asinine. Your ideas about marijuana are grounded in myth and propaganda, not science.

Where is the science that says marijuana is more addictive than alcohol or caffeine? Why would calling someone a drug addict be the default assumption that needs to be DISproven? That's asinine. Your ideas about marijuana are grounded in myth and propaganda, not science.
Sure, whatever you say;) / leaving thread.

OP I was in a similar situation when I applied. I had two underage drinking citations on my record and a third institutional action which did not include a criminal charge. I got three interviews and none of them asked me about the instances. You are not doomed just get a lawyer and don't make any more mistakes.

Oh and also I'm not an alcoholic/drug addict. People drink in college and some of those people get caught due to their own immaturity and bad luck. Just be ready to talk about it in an interview.

Is anybody curious about the FOUR narcotics officers and a K-9 being dispatched to OP's apartment on a weekend evening simply because there was the smell of marijuana? Either he/she lives in the quietest, most boring town in America, or the cops expected to find a submarine filled with cocaine under his bed...

Reactions: 18 users
With regard to the first situation, you were incredibly unlucky to get in trouble for breaking up the fight -- but the real issue is that you lied to the cop. Regardless of the fake ID situation, lying to an officer is far worse.

With the second situation, that's absolutely insane that a narcotics team was called to your apartment. But the terrible thing here is that your friend didn't own up to it being his weed.

Very sad.

Brutal honesty: Disassociate with drug addicts.@Lamel summed it up nicely.

There is not a single drug addict in this story as far as I can tell. Not sure what you're talking about.

As I kept reading (and I read the entire thing), I just couldn't understand why you acted so stupidly. Being honest is one thing but trying to lie about your ID and then trying to defend your friend made no sense. It doesn't make sense to me why you would defend your friend and try to get the charge on yourself when you know what this would do to your career. So I really have no pity as harsh as it seems because it seems like you did this to yourself when you could have easily gotten out of both situations. Look out for yourself before others because you are the one that is getting screwed now.

How could he have gotten off easily in the second case?

For the first one, since you got diversion it doesn't even show up on your record. My uncle is border patrol, and I had him run a government background check on me, and the diversion I had from years ago did not show up. Unfortunately, the other, being so recent will hold you back. Wait five years, don't get arrested ever again, and then apply.

my school is full of narcs, and more). Someone knocked on the door, I looked over at my friend because I didn't know who it was and wasn't expecting anyone. I told him to put out what he was smoking and answered the door. Who is it? Two narcotics officers, just f-ing great. They claimed that they smelled marijuana and wanted to come inside. I demanded to speak to my lawyer, they denied me the right (illegal?). They tried to step into my apartment to which I denied them access and asked them if they had a search warrant.

1). If your school is full of narcs, why were you surprised when two were at your door?
2). Res halls and apartments, at at least my university, reek of weed. Can you you say "probable cause."
3). Until you're under arrest and read your rights they don't have to give you a lawyer. In most states they can detain you for up to 24 hours w/o doing so as long as they have probable cause.
4). And "which I denied them access." Verbally or physically? If it was physical you resisted a lawful search, since the smell is probable cause by itself.

No offense, but I wouldn't want you as my doctor and if convicted of any of these things, even if you get in medical school, they will haunt you the rest of your life (residency, fellowship, licencing, jobs, privileges, etc) since you have to disclose them like everywhere you go.

Get a good layer and get your act together.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Adcoms are not fools and if crappy application grammar can get someone rejected, you can bet multiple convictions will as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Just to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you really are as passionate about medicine as you say you are and you really weren't involved with these instances, you just ended up with the short straw, with a good layer you have a decent shot at getting these charges dismissed. i.e. you have lots of community service/activity in the community, good professional reputation, no other run-ins with the law then a magistrate may be inclined to let the charges go.

Don't hold your breath, but you have a chance still...

1). If your school is full of narcs, why were you surprised when two were at your door?

Heh.

I think he meant 'narcs' in the sense of "people who will turn you in for using drugs," not 'narcs' as in "officers of the law that enforce drug crimes."

Or you're being sarcastic, and I'm an oblivious pedant.

As for me, I'd rather have an intelligent, caring doctor who has a 10-year old drug charge than an incompetent, obnoxious doctor just kept his nose clean through college. People sometimes make dumb mistakes, especially when they're young, and I don't think it's necessarily a reflection on their character. OP's problem is that no matter how smart and caring he is (and he sounds like he's both of these things, for the most part), there are so many qualified applicants for so few spots that admissions committees don't have to be forgiving in order to fill up their classes with intelligent, caring people.

You should request a methadone clinic experience on your psych rotation... but on the way, make sure you go to Starbucks and watch the people in line. Which ones are more desperate and irritable?

d748d4018cb471d357409c9306477a336645cce5cfa2bf861895546983b07703.jpg

Lol why would you take a charge for your toolbag of a friend?

Uh, no. Smoking weed is bad for you. Yes, I said it.
For an adult, not really. Sugar is bad for you too. Marijuana is certainly better than alcohol and not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. No serious person could describe someone as a 'drug addict' if all they did was smoke pot once in a while.

Heh.

I think he meant 'narcs' in the sense of "people who will turn you in for using drugs," not 'narcs' as in "officers of the law that enforce drug crimes."

Or you're being sarcastic, and I'm an oblivious pedant.

As for me, I'd rather have an intelligent, caring doctor who has a 10-year old drug charge than an incompetent, obnoxious doctor just kept his nose clean through college. People sometimes make dumb mistakes, especially when they're young, and I don't think it's necessarily a reflection on their character. OP's problem is that no matter how smart and caring he is (and he sounds like he's both of these things, for the most part), there are so many qualified applicants for so few spots that admissions committees don't have to be forgiving in order to fill up their classes with intelligent, caring people.

Not sarcastic, I get what he meant, but the same applies. If lots of people will possibly turn you in, you shouldn't be surprised when it happens.

I agree to an extent.
As for me I rather a doctor who has kept his nose clean, is passionate, AND caring. Fortunately for me, the united states has had a surplus of well qualified applicants w/o criminal backgrounds and its only going to get more competitive with time.

He can have all the butterflies, sunshine, and unicorns in his heart. But it will be his actions which define him.

I haven't had the desk it was found in but for a year or so. It wouldn't make sense if it was really left over from that long ago. I'm not sure who is to blame for it. I don't believe he put it there. What he had in his hand when it happened "disappeared." I'm not sure what he did with it, but its fairly clear. I wasn't taking the blame for him. I just told the officer that only I should get the charge (which I was already getting) instead of him getting one as well which would have lead jail time. He tried to make it seem like I was saying it was mine, but that wasnt the case.

I actually am in a really small, quiet, and boring college town. The town is very narrow minded and the officials generally have nothing better to do than deal with students. It was initially two. They called the other two so they could sit with us while they got a search warrant. The K9 unit was called 2-3 hours later after they found the bag. If they were expecting something before hand or if it was planned i'd think that they would have already had a warrant.

I have been profiled here before, as well. I was harassed once during a traffic stop about how I could "afford to buy my car." Frankly, the car isnt even mine. I actually dont own a car at the moment.

I am really starting to wonder if I was set up by someone who had been in my apartment recently because as they left one officer said something along the lines of "Frankly, people dont want to go to prision. They'll do what it takes to not let that happen." Or maybe someone forgot it there because practically everyone I know here smokes. The issue is how the hell am I going to prove that I didnt know it was there? My story just sounds like Im pulling it out of my ass.

I tried explaining to the officer that there was no way it could have been mine because I dont smoke, I was seeking employment at hospitals/clinics, I was volunteering at different places that do random drug tests, and that I was willing to take a drug test immediately to prove it. It was a long shot, but I hoped that he would take up my offer. They didnt really care what I had to say.

What I'm very depressed about is I was very calm when they were searching because I knew I had nothing in the apartment aside from lighters, cigars, and some hookah items. I just wanted them to hurry up and leave. At the time, I was actually really worried about being able to complete my lab assignment before it got really late. We'll that wasn't the case and now here I am being accused of possession.

I really don't want to be rude. Yet, let's consider what you're saying. You've been set up by the police (which granted happens more often than we think) or some "person" and you're the regular victim of profiling. Okay.

Also, you have no problem hanging out with people who are actively into drugs (and let's be honest guys, I'm sure it's way more than just weed), covering for your friend (there is only one way to interpret that sorry) and now you're in denial..... Oh, and to top it all off you've had problems like this in the past.

Okay, here's reality. If you want to survive your life: Don't associate with people who use controlled substances, dress for the job you want, speak with an air of confidence and cut out the profanity, and put heavy emphasis on personal hygiene and the clean cut look.

If you survive this, get an interview, maybe you can move forward.

Also, stop with the self-serving bias......... You clearly need to grow up.
I'm going to recommend a clean break...... So you can separate yourself from the whole environment that is so negative for you at the moment (not just your friends).

2). Res halls and apartments, at at least my university, reek of weed. Can you you say "probable cause."
3). Until you're under arrest and read your rights they don't have to give you a lawyer. In most states they can detain you for up to 24 hours w/o doing so as long as they have probable cause.
4). And "which I denied them access." Verbally or physically? If it was physical you resisted a lawful search, since the smell is probable cause by itself.

No offense, but I wouldn't want you as my doctor and if convicted of any of these things, even if you get in medical school, they will haunt you the rest of your life (residency, fellowship, licencing, jobs, privileges, etc) since you have to disclose them like everywhere you go.

Get a good layer and get your act together.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Adcoms are not fools and if crappy application grammar can get someone rejected, you can bet multiple convictions will as well.

"Probable cause" doesn't necessarily apply to a house/apartment. While you are correct that campus police maybe be able to enter dorms in a situation such as the OPs, this is dependent on school policy.

Probable cause does not meet the legal standard to search a home without the owner/tenant's consent or a search warrant. OP was well within his right to not consent to a search. Although the OP could have made this a bit more clear by stating explicitly, "Officer, I do not consent to a search of my apartment", however, the officers may well have continued to search the apartment.

Although people are encouraged to cooperate with police in these situations, I don't see anything wrong with respectably exercising your constitutional rights. It may be frustrating for an officer to obtain a search warrant, but it will only help in prosecuting a case if the person was truly breaking the law.

Source: http://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/police-at-my-door-what-should-i-do/

OP, your decisions reflect poorly on your judgement, but with some time and maturation, I think you can still make it to med school. I hope your lawyer can settle these cases and you keep yourself out of trouble from this point onwards. Good luck!

The running joke from my attendings is that you shouldn't smoke MJ until age 25. After that, have at it.

I get really frustrated with neuroimaging research though. There's a lot of crap out there that's either (1) really poorly controlled, or (2) poorly correlated with any clinical outcomes. The problem is it has the "ooh, high-tech and shiny!" effect on those in the field who should honestly be evaluating with greater scrutiny. The stuff getting published by PhD neuropsychologists is more useful to me if this is an either/or situation. I tend to not give a crap unless there's a strong correlation with cognitive/psychological effects. I DRTFA beyond the abstract yet though...depends on the controls.

"Probable cause" doesn't necessarily apply to a house/apartment. While you are correct that campus police maybe be able to enter dorms in a situation such as the OPs, this is dependent on school policy.

Probable cause does not meet the legal standard to search a home without the owner/tenant's consent or a search warrant. OP was well within his right to not consent to a search. Although the OP could have made this a bit more clear by stating explicitly, "Officer, I do not consent to a search of my apartment", however, the officers may well have continued to search the apartment.

Although people are encouraged to cooperate with police in these situations, I don't see anything wrong with respectably exercising your constitutional rights. It may be frustrating for an officer to obtain a search warrant, but it will only help in prosecuting a case if the person was truly breaking the law.

Source: http://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/police-at-my-door-what-should-i-do/

OP, your decisions reflect poorly on your judgement, but with some time and maturation, I think you can still make it to med school. I hope your lawyer can settle these cases and you keep yourself out of trouble from this point onwards. Good luck!

Probable cause applies anywhere so I'm not sure what you're talking about? There are no exempt zones. If you mean they can't search for things that are out of plain view, you are correct. Anything inside and in plain view is fair game. Once a k9 zeros on something they can search that as well. At least in my state. There are lots of ways they get around using a warrant. If you agree with that is another discussion.

So, this marijuana bust happened three days ago. It is too soon to say what is going to happen, don't lose hope. Get a lawyer, ideally a good lawyer. Never talk to police without a lawyer present. You already made this mistake a few times, but don't repeat it.

Public Service Announcement: Watch this video about why you should never talk to police.

After you talk to a lawyer, you really don't know what will happen. It will depend on exactly how much marijuana it was, what state you are in, and many other factors. There is a decent chance that the charges will be dropped for some reason, you just don't know yet.

Don't make this a catastrophe in your mind. You have not been convicted of a felony, you don't know how this will turn out. Stay positive, and get a lawyer.

I thought that the FBI background check sees everything that has ever existed no matter if it was dropped, diverted, or expunged?

They don't do an FBI background check for med school firstly, of course the fbi can look deeper into things that have been sealed- the point of having a record sealed is that legally- you do not have to tell people about it because it is "sealed" meaning that it will not show up on background checks. And the med school apps ask about "convictions" not arrests- if one got off with a diversion class it was not a conviction. I have a criminal record and my uncle in the BP looked it up for me so that I could correctly report it on my apps, and my diversion didn't show up. What he looked up was exactly what would show up if a police officer pulling you over would find.

I suspect that, like everyone else, adcoms will think 'where there's smoke, there's fire. and weed.' Nobody, including us, is going to believe that the one time someone is smoking weed in your apartment, narcs show up. What they and everyone else will think is that you regularly hang out with drug users, someone got tired of it, called the police, and you got busted. They will naturally assume -- correctly -- that you are immature and not in a position to be admitted to med school. You will be encouraged to take a year or two and grow up.

Hello all and thank you for your time. I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to include almost all of the details. It also felt good to "talk" to someone about it

I am currently in a terrible situation with the law. I've had two run ins with the police, here is how they ended:

Two years ago I was at a bar on my phone writing someone a text message, a fight broke out behind me. I turned around to see what was happening because I couldnt hear anything (music too loud). When I turned around I saw a group of 4-5 people fighting. The group to my left consisted of two really large men, probably 230+lbs. One of them threw a punch at a person to my right, I stepped towards the group and grabbed the guys forearm as he was about to hit the other guy. I managed to keep him him from connecting. I then proceeded to push the two sides apart. After they quit trying fighting/ arguing I left the bar. As I was outside, someone mentioned that they had called the police. The two groups were outside as well. At this point, I never thought I had done anything wrong. I stuck around and waited for the police in case they wanted a witness report. Well the police show up and handcuff one of the people in the right group. Im hanging around talking to one of the police officers that I know and some girl walks up to me with another police officer and points at me. He called me over and then told me to turn around and place my hands behind my back... etc. I thought he called me over to ask me about what happened... He made me sit down on the ground. Then, he asked me for my ID. I told him it was in my wallet in my back pocket. He pulled out my wallet and out of my wallet pulled out my fake ID instead of my real one. He asked me if that was me. Out of fear of the situation, I replied yes. (I had never ever had any situation like this happen to me at the time. He ran my ID and nothing came back. He asked me for my name which I stated; It wasnt the same name as on my fake. He flipped out and got in my face yelling at me, cussing me out..etc. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful in anyway with the fake, but I didnt want to say "No officer that is my fake ID." The police then took the handcuff off of the guy in the right group and handcuffed another guy in the same group. I asked the officer what I had done and kept stating that I hadnt done anything wrong. He told me I was being charged with simple battery to which I stated "WHAT? I never hit anyone!... I tried to break it up why would I even be in trouble." He proceeded to tell me that simple battery charges can be pressed even if you slightly touch someone. This situation was such bull**** and I cant believe I was even arrested for doing what I thought was right. Nevertheless, I was also charged with resisting and officer for having a different name on my fake ID and for false identification. So, simple battery, resisting an officer and false identification.. All misdemeanors. In the police report for my arrest it stated that "suspect grabbed a person without their consent".... WTF.. Anyway, I was given pretrail diversion for the charges.
I dont think this will be an issue.^

Fast-forward to two days ago. I had a friend over at my apartment. I was writing a lab report and he was smoking pot. I hadn't been, and hadn't smoked in practically 3+ years for multiple reasons (Smoking just makes me really really tired and lazy, its illegal, I used to be a nursing student, I was/am constantly in the medical setting (drug test possibility), my school is full of narcs, and more). Someone knocked on the door, I looked over at my friend because I didn't know who it was and wasn't expecting anyone. I told him to put out what he was smoking and answered the door. Who is it? Two narcotics officers, just f-ing great. They claimed that they smelled marijuana and wanted to come inside. I demanded to speak to my lawyer, they denied me the right (illegal?). They tried to step into my apartment to which I denied them access and asked them if they had a search warrant. One of the officers because really pissed when I said this. He told me "if you wanted to be a smart ass you can wait here while I go do the paperwork and get it signed." It was about 30* outside and I was wearing shots and a Tshirt. They had us waiting outside sitting on the ground until a couple more narcotics officers came to watch us. The door to my apartment was still propped open. I didn't want to let them in my apartment because my friend still had about half of a blunt to smoke and I wasnt sure what he did with it when I opened the door. After two hours of sitting on the cold concrete (it was terribly cold), they showed up again and we all went into the apartment. They asked if I had any firearms..etc to which I answered no. They asked me "how much are we going to find," I said " I dont know," but what I mean to say is "I dont know what youre talking about." After searching my apartment for 1-2 hours they found a small baggie of pot in a drawer. They asked whose it was, to which we both denied. The officer kept getting really pissed because both of us were denying that it was ours. At this point, I thought that my friend had set me up. I thought this because, 5 minutes after he came they knocked on the door and now there is suddenly weed in my apartment as well. Anyway, they tried to play good cop bad cop with me, they tried to tell me that if Id just be honest it would be a lot better for me and all of this stuff. I kept reasserting that I was being honest; The officer kept getting more and more mad. They kept trying to ask me questions that would make me indirectly say that it was my weed. At this point I stated that the situation was going to ruin my medical career. They stated that first time possesion charges for small amounts dont lead to much and that after expungement it wouldnt be seen by anyone. I stated that it wasnt mine again and explained to them that its not about the fact that its a misdemeanor and it can be expunged, but the fact that any charge or expungement can be seen on an application. I also tried to explain the seriousness of a drug charge in the medical field and how it practically ruins everything. They didnt really care about what I had to say. They called a K9 unit to the complex and had the dog search my car. The same main police officer came back and said that the dog smelled that I had pot in my car recently. WHAT???... Anyway, I believe he was trying to intimidated me into saying it was mine which he had been trying to do the whole time. I denied it and so did my friend. My friend had already been charged with a marijuana charge and the officer stated that since neither of us wanted to accept ownership of it that we would both get charged. I didnt want my friend to get jail time over it so I told the officer that if that was the situation that he should just give me the charge. He then said, "So its yours." To which I replied "No, but there is no point in me getting a charge, and him getting a charge and going to jail versus just be getting a charge." They then got ready to leave and the officer came back in and kept talking about how I need to be honest with him for the 500th time. He said that they were pissed that they spent resources (search warrant paperwork Im assuming) to only find $20 worth of weed. Im assuming that they thought I was a drug dealer because of my higher end car and they'd expect to find god know what in my residence. He wrote me a court summons, did nothing to my friend and left.

I spoke to my friend and asked him if he had anything to do with them showing up, he denied it and denied that he had put the weed there. Of course, in this situation it's "No ones" weed. The issue is that nothing in this situation is helping the fact that I had no idea there was weed in my apt. Practically everything points to me knowingly having it there. The smell in my apt., demanding to call my lawyer, not letting them search my apt, the dog "smelling" something in my car, ash in a can, a lighter on the table by the side by friend was sitting, cigars on the counter, so on and so forth.

I have yet to hear from my laywer, but this is such bull****. I dont know how the world I can even prove I had no idea it was there. I practically can't from what I see. I know that I made a huge mistake by letting my friend smoke in my apartment and by practically even being friends with him since he had a drug charge. I feel terrible, blank, depressed, upset, confused, and everything else possible. My explanation also just sounds like the biggest BS story in the world. I wouldn't even believe it if I heard it. I'm not sure what to do and if my medical career is over.

I am very passionate about medicine and don't/can't see myself doing anything else. I do not want to give up on medicine, but what am I going to do now. This is such a terrible situation for me. No matter what I say, do, feel, and think the fact that pot was found in MY apartment and the fact that I'm being charged with possession doesn't change. I still dont know whose weed it was, how it got there, or how long its been there as I havent used that desk since I moved into the apartment two weeks ago. I still feel like I may have been set up by someone since they just showed up to my apartment like that.

I have put so much effort, time, and money to get where I am. I love, love, love medicine and helping people. I do not want to do anything else with my life. These two legal situations don't make it seem like it, though. I have lost all drive to study for my classes, to study for the mCat, and to live... I feel like my application to med. school wouldn't even be looked at because I look like such a bad person, which is untrue. If I were to get an interview, I feel that the Adcom would just think I'm lying out of my ass and would deny me immediately. From what I've been reading, I might as well just grab all of my books and anything related to medicine/school and throw it away. My life has practically been ruined in my point of view. I hate this situation, I hate myself for what happened, and I feel hopeless now. I feel as if all of the studying, volunteering, shadowing, and research I do from now on is going to end up being for nothing after I get my application denied immediately and I get laughed at by the "CRIMINAL" look that I have put off through these two situations.

What advice do you SDN members have for me? Can I still hope to continue with my education, apply and hope that I will get a chance to explain myself or should I just drop out of school and live the rest of my life hating myself while being constantly depressed.

These probably won't matter, but here are my stats: Junior - Biology major, 3.85 GPA, 250ish hours shadowing, biology research, random volunteering, expected mCat score (current) - 32ish.

Please excuse any grammar mistakes. Thank you all for your time.

If you told me this story in an interview (if somehow you got through the initial application process and got an interview), I would be very much against you matriculating. I'm sorry, but if this is 'your side', then yes, this is not good. There are numerous red flags in your story that just scream, "not ready for medical school".

Rather than going into too many details, only because people will get defensive and argue. I will say this simply:

1) Get a lawyer.
2) Go through the legal process associated with this.
3) Evaluate based on what happens.

How you can think that posting on an internet forum before even hearing back from your lawyer is a good idea is a little mind boggling.

Reactions: 7 users
They don't do an FBI background check for med school firstly, of course the fbi can look deeper into things that have been sealed- the point of having a record sealed is that legally- you do not have to tell people about it because it is "sealed" meaning that it will not show up on background checks. And the med school apps ask about "convictions" not arrests- if one got off with a diversion class it was not a conviction. I have a criminal record and my uncle in the BP looked it up for me so that I could correctly report it on my apps, and my diversion didn't show up. What he looked up was exactly what would show up if a police officer pulling you over would find.

We had to do an FBI background check/clearance before matriculation. Along with the child abuse check. Might be state-specific, but since you haven't matriculated yet you might not be aware of that.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no point, belief perseverance is at play here.....Not to mention a strong confirmation bias.
And yes I got a 104% on my Psych Final this Morning!
Um, no it's not. Facts are facts. You can rationalize it all you want.

We had to do an FBI background check/clearance before matriculation. Along with the child abuse check. Might be state-specific, but since you haven't matriculated yet you might not be aware of that.
WTF, child abuse can keep u out of med school?