Did my residency choice hurt my fellowship chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sink You Fool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I changed my residency list last minute in a fit of love for the city I'm in now. And now it's where I matched. I like the program I'm at, but I had much higher "prestige" programs on my list. I likely want to do a fellowship in pulmonology with the hopes of working with CF kids. The program I matched to doesn't have a pulmonology fellowship nor are they a CF center. I realize it's a not a very competitive specialty, but I'm still worried I may have kicked myself in the shins. Not that I can change it now, but I'd appreciate some insight. Also, if anyone has any thoughts about buying a house when you don't know where you're going to be in 3 years, I'm all ears.

Members don't see this ad.

Your rank list is water under the bridge. Now you need to focus on becoming a great general pediatrician and start exploring subspecialties that might interest you. You will see less cystic fibrosis if your program isn't affiliated with a CF center, but you will see plenty of asthma, BPD, chronic respiratory failure, recurrent pneumonia, etc. You need to confirm that you can at least tolerate taking care of those issues if you want to be a pulmonologist. There also may be some CF patients who are seen at your program anyway.

So how can you get CF experience? First, is there an adult CF center affiliated with your hospital, medical center, etc.? That may be the first place to look. You might also be able to do electives outside of your program where you can rotate through an outside hospital's CF center clinic or on the inpatient pulmonology service where CF patients are admitted. There is a significant difference between the types of CF patients you see in clinic vs. the ones admitted to the hospital in terms of management and overall health, so both experiences would be beneficial. Some centers have certain days of the week where they see all their CF patients, so spending a few days there would give you a lot of bang for your buck in terms of seeing the general approach (physicians, nurses/coordinators, respiratory therapists, social workers, and nutritionists).

I would also recommend getting involved with some type of pulmonology-related scholarly activity. This could be research or a quality improvement initiative. That would further showcase your interest and dedication to the field.

Finally, the CF Foundation offers a Resident Roundtable Travel Grant to the annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference that pays for your travel to the conference and gives you the chance to meet with CF docs and researchers. This is a great experience and one that you could consider pursuing (likely as a PGY-2).

As you mentioned, pediatric pulmonology is not a competitive subspecialty in terms of the match. If you are successful in residency and do some of the things above to show your interest, I have no doubt that you will match somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
I experienced (and still do) the same feelings. I am in a community program that I absolutely love, but as I am definitely leaning towards a fellowship, sometimes I can't help but wonder if I shot myself in the foot. That being said, the reality is that I can go to my community program and be an excellent pediatrician just as easily as I can go to Johns Hopkins and be a terrible pediatrician when done. It's all what you put into it. There are some definite negatives to my smaller program and I am allowed to do out rotations for better experiences which I plan to do. But ultimately, it is the program for me and I will get out of it everything that I want to. Just put in the work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your responses! You're right, what's done is done. I appreciate the advice.

My program doesn't have fellowships beyond ED (and child abuse). We place people into all of the major subspecialties. Your program will not be what holds you back if you are motivated and get involved.

Hey folks. I changed my residency list last minute in a fit of love for the city I'm in now. And now it's where I matched. I like the program I'm at, but I had much higher "prestige" programs on my list. I likely want to do a fellowship in pulmonology with the hopes of working with CF kids. The program I matched to doesn't have a pulmonology fellowship nor are they a CF center. I realize it's a not a very competitive specialty, but I'm still worried I may have kicked myself in the shins. Not that I can change it now, but I'd appreciate some insight. Also, if anyone has any thoughts about buying a house when you don't know where you're going to be in 3 years, I'm all ears.

You shouldn't have a problem. Spots in pediatric pulmonology regularly go unfilled at many prestigious pediatric hospitals. See this from the NRMP:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Specialty-Match-Program-Results-2013-2017.pdf

You'll be fine if you perform well as a resident. Good luck

Check your program's list of fellowship programs recent grads have matched into- that'll give you the best idea of your chances.

Check your program's list of fellowship programs recent grads have matched into- that'll give you the best idea of your chances.

That may not have much bearing since Peds Pulmonary is not competitive at all, at least for now. Now if no one has matched in a fellowship from his/her program, then that may be a problem. Nonetheless, I think the OP made the right choice in prioritizing things above exposure to Peds Pulm. While it would be nice to get great exposure to a certain field, many people change their minds about what they want to go into and so I wouldn't recommend basing your rank list sole on this.