Did not match....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quixote1974

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little in shock--as I did not match....can anyone give advice on the scramble???

Members don't see this ad.

that is a bummer....i saw your rank list, too on one of the other threads. You ranked a lot of programs. Hope the scramble goes well for you!!!! Best of luck.

There are 43 spots unfilled, and you only need 1. Get a fax machine and have your phone numbers and documents at the ready. Good luck to ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
43 spots? Is this down from last year? Maybe I should have di my rank list differently......

Last year there were 70 spots unfilled. There were also 48 fewer positions last year, compared to this year. I think your best chance at picking up a spot is with the programs that you have interviewed with ( if they have open spots).

You're not alone. I didn't match either. I'm going through the different stages of grieving right now.

We'll be fine after Tuesday.

It is very unusual to scramble to a place you have interviewed at.

If you ranked them, and they did not fill, then that means that you were not ranked by the program. Most programs rank most applicants they interview, they typically have very good reasons not to rank the people they don't rank.

If you did not rank them (but interviewed there), and they did not fill, it is unlikely they will take your change of heart well. There will be other candidates who will be more convincing on the point that they really want to go to that school (people who applied and did not recieve interviews, for example).

Also, from another post: it is unlikely for residencies to scramble two years in a row. If they were unable to fill last year, they likely have compensated this year by over interviewing candidates. The positions on the scramble list will likely be different than last years (other than some chronically bad programs).

bump this is what i was referring to when i said people ranked mass amounts of programs and did not match!

Poety said:
bump this is what i was referring to when i said people ranked mass amounts of programs and did not match!

Again great find! I did a bit of searching and it seems like quixote1974's ROL is filled with very competitive schools...

1. UIC
2. Duke
3. Georgetown
4. Hopkins
5. George Washington
6. U Chicago
7. Tufts
8. UCSD
9. UCI
10. Rush
11. UTSW
12. UNC

I'm not really surprised he didn't match as he only listed the best programs.

you think so solid? I was thinking if he got interviewed at all those places he would have gotten ranked somewhere right? Oy!

Poety said:
you think so solid? I was thinking if he got interviewed at all those places he would have gotten ranked somewhere right? Oy!

I don't know about these specific cases, nor do I have any data to support this, but . . . on my interview trail, I've met a couple who I suspected I wouldn't enjoy interviewing. One who wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise and one who was nervously timid. I think that if you are personable and rank enough programs, then at least one of them will rank you high enough. Poety, if your written word is any indication, I really don't think you should worry. Meanwhile, one of my interviewers at my most recent program, told me that I "looked amazing on paper" and proceeded to mention several times that I should undergo therapy ("as should all psychiatrists") . . . which I wouldn't debate, but I wasn't sure what to make of the fact that he kept coming back to it. Anyway, I'm not worried and, Poety, I don't think you should be either. I've got 12 interviews scheduled currently but am going to limit myself to 10. As for ranking only top-notch programs, I think that if you're getting enough interviews at top-tier programs, then you shouldn't be afraid to limit your list to that caliber of program.

The Pride said:
I don't know about these specific cases, nor do I have any data to support this, but . . . on my interview trail, I've met a couple who I suspected I wouldn't enjoy interviewing. One who wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise and one who was nervously timid. I think that if you are personable and rank enough programs, then at least one of them will rank you high enough. Poety, if your written word is any indication, I really don't think you should worry. Meanwhile, one of my interviewers at my most recent program, told me that I "looked amazing on paper" and proceeded to mention several times that I should undergo therapy ("as should all psychiatrists") . . . which I wouldn't debate, but I wasn't sure what to make of the fact that he kept coming back to it. Anyway, I'm not worried and, Poety, I don't think you should be either. I've got 12 interviews scheduled currently but am going to limit myself to 10. As for ranking only top-notch programs, I think that if you're getting enough interviews at top-tier programs, then you shouldn't be afraid to limit your list to that caliber of program.

Well said Pride! As for the therapy, your interviewer may have been thrown off by your "imaginary friend"! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
:p
The Pride said:

Thats really nice of you to say Pride. I admit, I have an anxiety component going on here, compounded with boredom and aggravated by bullies in the forums HAHAHA :laugh:

I think everyone can benefit from a bit of therapy - did you get the weird sense that he was hinting something to you? Was he like, "Oh you looked (past tense inferred) great on paper, but maybe you could use some therapy"

Thats kind of like the experience I went through at that "program" I won't mention again - he kept saying, so ever been depressed? I'm like no, you sure about that? Yes, not even a teeny bit? No, I'm happy go lucky, how about just once?

Some of these interviewers are wacked!

Now I look wacked because I'm laughing in the Atlanta airport staring at my computer :p HAs anyone ever noticed how odd people are? :laugh: Airports are scary, I think I'll keep my patients away from them :laugh:

Poety said:

I have a question (maybe an insensitive one), but do we know if this applicant had any glaring weaknesses? It seems very strange that someone could apply to that many psych programs and not match. For instance, did this person fail a lot of classes or fail the boards, was he an FMIG, etc.? From what the program director at my school has told me, you really don't need many interviews for psych, even if you are looking at only the best places. She did say that for us some of that is due to the prestige of the med school, which she claims counts for something in psych, but that can't be everything (i.e. people who go to "top" schools cannot have that much of an advantage over other applicants).

Hi rust,

I didn't know you were applyig to psych, welcome the forum! Anyway, I thought the same thing too - it was really weird to have all those interviews and not match ANYWHERE. I honestly don't think it could have been a board score or fail thing because if that were the case they wouldn't have been invited to interview - perhaps it was something during the interview.

I hope the person scrambled into something though. And hopefully they are happy, I wish no ill will on anyone and its hell to go through this process in the first place - the whole post just scared me and I thought I would bump it for my fellow psych SDNers :)

Hi, just thought I would update. Not matching into a program was a shock, and I wasn't the only one in my class who's not matching was a surprise. Had two friend who didn't match into categorical surgical spots, and they were both aiming high. As to why I didn't match, I have some ideas but no definite answers...some things to consider...

I aimed high, got interviews at 1st or second tier institutions, not ivy-league, but close. I turned down interviews at other good programs that seemed interested in me (baylor, san antonio, northwestern....) I should have gone to some of these interviews, and picked out solid safety schools....but having got such good responses, I guess I got a little cocky.

My record was interesting, and I think that's what attracted programs. I was really interested in the philosophy of psychiatry, did alot of research, and scored really high on the USMLEs. I did have some rocky years in med school and somepersonal problems, but managed to deal with them, and excel in the clinical years, getting solid recs etc. i would hope that psychiatry programs could see the value of self-improvemnt, but perhaps they worry about stability. Self-disclosure probably hurt as much as it helped.

I wasn't good at playing the game. My heart was set on a couple of programs, and I couldn'treally convey enthusiasm. Should have been more enthusasitic, or acted like it.

Didn't rank all the programs I visited, for example, I thought Rochester was a good program, even though it had its share of probs, its faculty were excellent, though still not sure I would enjoy rochester ny.

i wonder whether my school played a role, everyone I interviewed with went to ivy league places, whereas I would often ask where my med school was, or they didn't know about my campus.

when i applied, at least i like to think, it got more competitive. esp at the top tier places. all the residency directors i talked to told me that the apps jumped considerably.

that being said, i wouldn't stress too much out over it. in my defense i did have a strong record, though it was uneven and maybe a risk. if you've done reasonably well, are likeable, smart, hard working, team player etc you should match somewhere. one thing though is that the match really really limits your choices, i was lucky to get into the program that i'm in, in a nice city, and a relatively stable program. i would go to at one interview at a safety place in a city that you want to live in, (don'tgo to crappy programs), but at least go to the ones that are solid but may not have the names and all the nice little things you are looking for in a psych program.

as for myself, i'm doing fine in my program, i read alot, have time for a life, am one of the hardest workers in my program, and am satisified where i am. i do regret not going to some of the places i interviewed at but it's ok, such is life, and you get what you put into a program, and with the patinets you see,and this motivates me to study harder and work harder.

Quixote,

Thanks for coming back and dropping us a line. It started to feel like we were talking behind someones back. lol.

Anyways, congratulations on all your successes! I wanted to ask, as I match candidate who isn't too sure of matching, how did the scramble go for you? Could you please describe it? For one thing, I keep hearing that during the opening hours of the scramble people usually get into a program during the first few hours of the first day, how did that work for you?

If one does go into the scramble should one accept the first offer presented right away or is there time for reflection?

Thanks again and again, congratulations I wish you all the best.

Hi Quix,

I'm really glad to see you came back and that things DID work out for you. I"m really sorry about not matching though - but at lesat you got in somewhere where you are happy!

Did you match into psych?

I would also like to ask, if you had gotten any feedback from programs that led you to believe you were going to match - I didn't know if that was perhaps why you didn't finish the other interviews you had.

I was thinking of cancelling 2 more, but I wouldn't want to damage my chances of matching somewhere!

Thank you!

bump for Quix

I don't want to scare anyone because my situation was a bit atypical.

You can't take what program directors or faculty tell you at face value. It's just the nature of the match that expressions of interest don't really mean that much for most people. Don't let feedback unduly influence where you interview or where you rank.

Please don't worry about the scramble. It won't be an issue for most of you, if you do think it may be an issue, try to schedule some places where you would know you would be competetive and would be content with staying at. I'll try to provide any help to anyone has to scramble, when the time comes, but you do have options. I think I got my position later in the afternoon. It's really hard to anticipate all that happens in the scramble.

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

first off, much kudos to you, quix, for telling everyone you didn't match back when it first happened. that was very brave of you as it represents a worst case scenario nightmare for many people. it's also really thoughtful of you to offer help to others regarding the scramble. i'm sure it's highly appreciated by many.

quixote1974 said:
You can't take what program directors or faculty tell you at face value. It's just the nature of the match that expressions of interest don't really mean that much for most people. Don't let feedback unduly influence where you interview or where you rank.

you also mentioned that you didn't feel as though you played the "game" as well as you should have by showing more enthusiasm towards the various programs you didn't have your heart set on. did you ever ultimately communicate your high interest to the programs you did rank highly? if so, what did you do or say?

thanks for the offer of help. i may have to take you up on it.

Hi Dr.Robert,

And all this time you thought psych was for the low board scores? :laugh: :p You should take a look at Sazi and Norto's posts - those are two of the most well read people I've encountered.

Now, I realize they say psych attracts the "odd" people - but I would say we are no more weird then probably - Path or EM? :laugh:

DrRobert said:
I had no idea Psych was that competitive. That's scary.

I know; I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Psych and now I'm scared.

silas2642 said:

Hi silas,

Don't get scared. Just make sure you apply for a high number of programs across the U.S. You will get a position somewhere. Also, apply to some community programs.

Again, if there is anybody who won't get a position it would be me.

So, don't sweat it.

Best wishes!
psychedoc2b

The large majority of people who apply to a range of programs in psychiatry WILL match, and will likely match at one of their top choices. There will always be exceptions, like quixote, which make everyone worry, but I'm sure this is the rare exception.

It is hard to say why well-qualified people don't match in any specialty - one of my personal theories is the following:

Program A is your top choice, a highly competive program
Programs B & C are your 2nd and 3rd choices, still competive but less than program A

Program A does not rank you high enough to match
Program B & C think you are going to program A and that you probably won't rank them, so they don't rank you either, choosing instead to rank people who are sure to rank them highly

Presto ... no match!

Of course, who knows what really happens. It would be nice to know what goes on in all those PD's minds at match time!

Oh Willow. please don't say "presto" and "no match" in the same sentence :oops: I so wanna get into my number one and now I'm worried I'll mess up the second look <sigh> It really doesn't end does it?

Stomach aches, nerves running rampid - you name it. I wish I did have some other voices in my head to quiet this one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OPD? DS? COME ON, BE MY "OTHER" VOICES!!!

Poety said:
Oh Willow. please don't say "presto" and "no match" in the same sentence :oops: I so wanna get into my number one and now I'm worried I'll mess up the second look <sigh> It really doesn't end does it?

No, it doesn't end...
Soon you'll be worrying about your rotation evaluations and PRITE.
Then you'll worry about getting into a fellowship...passing Boards I...getting a job...passing Boards II...getting your grant...getting tenure...<sigh>

Sorry, but it really doesn't end.
So don't use up all your stressing out on the Match.

:laugh: funny, tonight I was just talking with a friend and I was explaining how oh this will be over soon, its becaus I went to competitive undergrad, and then into medical school, but now... I see how it REALLY is pffffftttt.

OPD, are you an academic? I thought you were like a private practice kinda guy :confused:

Poety said:
:laugh: funny, tonight I was just talking with a friend and I was explaining how oh this will be over soon, its becaus I went to competitive undergrad, and then into medical school, but now... I see how it REALLY is pffffftttt.

OPD, are you an academic? I thought you were like a private practice kinda guy :confused:

Attending at a large, urban teaching hospital, but blessedly free of the grants-and-papers treadmill...

yes, I thought you had told me how grant writing just sucks!

Attachments

• dancing.gif
    dancing.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 322
silas2642 said:

i'm right there with you, but the latter posts are reassuring. i very much think i want to do psych (even started thinking about medicine because i wanted to find a career dealing with mental health). it would so such if psych gets psycho ( ;) ) competitive when we graduate.

exlawgrrl said:
i'm right there with you, but the latter posts are reassuring. i very much think i want to do psych (even started thinking about medicine because i wanted to find a career dealing with mental health). it would so such if psych gets psycho ( ;) ) competitive when we graduate.

Yeah, they do help. I just want to get into a halfway decent program (not Ivy or anything) that's somewhere in the Northeast.

Poety said:

Didn't mean to scare you, Poety! I actually was going for trying to make people feel better ;) Plus, my "magic 8-ball" says that you'll do well in the match, so have no fear. :D

YEAH THE MAGIC 8-BALL!!! It predicts the real future ya know