Did not pass step 2...will the programs know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raskolnikov

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question that perhaps someone here can help me with. I am a DO student applying to path. I applied to about a dozen path programs in september and had not taken the comlex (the do board exam) step 2 yet. I took the exam a couple of weeks later. A few weeks later, I decided to apply to more programs. The day after I applied to another dozen programs on eras, I received notification in the mail that I had not passed the comlex by 5 points. My question and concern is, will the programs receive the transcript with the new score or will they get the same old transcript that the first batch of programs I applied to got. I mean, do they retransmit the same transcript or a new one? Also, would the first dozen programs I applied to get a fresh new transcript with the new scores as well?
I have my first interview next week and am trying to figure out if and how I may address this issue with the programs.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Raskolnikov said:
My question and concern is, will the programs receive the transcript with the new score or will they get the same old transcript that the first batch of programs I applied to got. I mean, do they retransmit the same transcript or a new one? Also, would the first dozen programs I applied to get a fresh new transcript with the new scores as well?

There is a section on ERAS where you select if you want any new scores automatically transmitted or not. So it depends what you put for this.

Thanks for the reply beary. Actually, the section for the comlex score transmission is a little different than the usmle one...the usmle one asks two questions, one about authorizing transmission and one about authorizing retransmission. The comlex score section only asks the first question...the one about authorizing transmission. It asks nothing about retransmission. So if you add more programs after you originally apply and your board scores arrive in between the time you applied to the first and second batch, which transcript are they getting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Raskolnikov said:
Thanks for the reply beary. Actually, the section for the comlex score transmission is a little different than the usmle one...the usmle one asks two questions, one about authorizing transmission and one about authorizing retransmission. The comlex score section only asks the first question...the one about authorizing transmission. It asks nothing about retransmission.

My apologies - I didn't realize the comlex had a different system than the USMLE. :oops:

Raskolnikov said:
Thanks for the reply beary. Actually, the section for the comlex score transmission is a little different than the usmle one...the usmle one asks two questions, one about authorizing transmission and one about authorizing retransmission. The comlex score section only asks the first question...the one about authorizing transmission. It asks nothing about retransmission. So if you add more programs after you originally apply and your board scores arrive in between the time you applied to the first and second batch, which transcript are they getting?

I bet if you ask in the General Residency forum you'll get a ton of answers. More people frequent that forum and you are more likely to get a DO with some information that can help.

well if you got your score in the mail mostlikely it was on the comlex computer access system before that. my score was on the computer access system like two wks before i got the score in the mail. so if you applied to programs after the score was on the computer access program then those programs got the score but the other programs you applied to first have not received the score. you'd have to retransmit to them in order for them to have the new transcript. i think that's right cz i looked into this quite a bit but of course double check with other ppl

drPLUM said:
I bet if you ask in the General Residency forum you'll get a ton of answers. More people frequent that forum and you are more likely to get a DO with some information that can help.

Hi. I am also a D.O. student applying to path programs for 2006. I recently passed my step 2. But, one of the programs I interviewed with just emailed to ask if I had passed. So, I think this implies that they will not know unless they ask you. Or, you may have to specifically tell the NBOME to release the score. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Raskolnikov said:
Hi everyone. I have a question that perhaps someone here can help me with. I am a DO student applying to path. I applied to about a dozen path programs in september and had not taken the comlex (the do board exam) step 2 yet. I took the exam a couple of weeks later. A few weeks later, I decided to apply to more programs. The day after I applied to another dozen programs on eras, I received notification in the mail that I had not passed the comlex by 5 points. My question and concern is, will the programs receive the transcript with the new score or will they get the same old transcript that the first batch of programs I applied to got. I mean, do they retransmit the same transcript or a new one? Also, would the first dozen programs I applied to get a fresh new transcript with the new scores as well?
I have my first interview next week and am trying to figure out if and how I may address this issue with the programs.
Thanks for any help you can offer.