Did the SMP make M1 easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSSVR4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted after finishing an SMP that mimicked the school's first year curriculum. For those of you who did similar programs at Tufts, BU, Georgetown, etc what were your experiences when you started medical school?

I am hoping M1 will be easier than normal and perhaps allow me to get a headstart on Step 1 studying (though a few people have told me I should just focus on doing research and get involved to build up my application for residency).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes its easier since you've already taken most of the courses and also did well in them.

Don't start studying for step 1 till M2.

Most people use the extra time available during M1 to do research, get some leadership experience, work on clinical skills, or shadow.

Members don't see this ad :)
It made first year a lot easier, not only because you've seen most of the material before, but because you already know how to study for med school exams. That was probably the biggest benefit; I was able to hit the ground running instead of figuring out how to study during our first block.

It depends. On some level, the content is easier. However, some schools emphasize different things. The SMP I did was based on an integrated curriculum with a single test (maximum 2) per organ system. The medical school I go to does subject based exams in blocks, so instead of studying for 1 integrated exam, as I did during the SMP, I have to plan out my studying for 4-5 different topics. That said, I'm doing pretty well (above average or honors for most exams).

Do most SMPs usually cost a year of med school tuition, or are they cheaper?

My friends have mentioned that it is in fact easier. However, the volume of an SMP is notably less than the actual medical school.

Yup, will make M1 year way easier.

Don't study for Step 1 as an M1. You don't know 90% of the material and whatever you do study is super low yield anyways.