Did You Complete a Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did You Complete a Residency?

• Total voters

Commando303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a poll. Did you complete a residency. If so, once you've voted "yes," please specify in a post what your residency was in; also, feel free to mention whether you found the experience to have been "worth it" ("it" being whatever you want it to be).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. (Wow: I thought this topic would generate more interest.)

I completed a residency in hospital-based optometry. I currently work in a hsopital setting. I feel that residency has been an invaluable experience for me. I wish more were available. More mentored education is what optoemtry as a profession needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the changes that optometry is going though, I think a residency could become required for tpa certification in the next ten years. It could very well be worth a lot soon.

I did a residency with a big ophthalmology private practice. It was an ocular disease and refractive surgery residency. I would see 20-40 patients a day, mostly geriatric, but children every now and then for ocular emergencies for only medical and pre/post surgical examinations. I only did 1-2 refractions a week.

I got to hone my abilities in procedural skills, ocular disease detection and management of refractice surgery patients. It was the best experience I could have hoped for. The close mentoring by several ODs and OMDs really helped me develop as an optometrist. I helped manage patients with a very wide range of pathology - pseudotumor, papilledema, uveitis, sickle cell, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, retinal tears, cystoid macular edema, toxic anterior segment syndrome (TASS), all sorts of red eyes and conjunctivitis, all sorts of herpetic eye disease, thyroid eye disease, even one case of endophthalmitis. You name it, I saw it. I didn't think training at optometry school really was sufficient enough to make me a fully competent optometrist.

I did the residency not expecting to build my resume or get a better job, but only for personal fulfillment. I wasn't ready to go into the real world yet. I wanted a chance to get to see all the fascinating pathology I had only read about in textbooks.

I ended up finding a full time job with a solo ophthalmology practice who was looking for someone with my background and training. Now I provide full range of optometric care including refractions, routine medical care, emergency care, specialty contact lens fits, and low vision. The residency definitely helped me secure a job as well as prep me for this type of career. In the end, even if I didn't get to work with medical optometry, I would definitely say that residency was "worth it."

I did a residency with a big ophthalmology private practice. It was an ocular disease and refractive surgery residency. I would see 20-40 patients a day, mostly geriatric, but children every now and then for ocular emergencies for only medical and pre/post surgical examinations. I only did 1-2 refractions a week.

I got to hone my abilities in procedural skills, ocular disease detection and management of refractice surgery patients. It was the best experience I could have hoped for. The close mentoring by several ODs and OMDs really helped me develop as an optometrist. I helped manage patients with a very wide range of pathology - pseudotumor, papilledema, uveitis, sickle cell, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, retinal tears, cystoid macular edema, toxic anterior segment syndrome (TASS), all sorts of red eyes and conjunctivitis, all sorts of herpetic eye disease, thyroid eye disease, even one case of endophthalmitis. You name it, I saw it. I didn't think training at optometry school really was sufficient enough to make me a fully competent optometrist.

I did the residency not expecting to build my resume or get a better job, but only for personal fulfillment. I wasn't ready to go into the real world yet. I wanted a chance to get to see all the fascinating pathology I had only read about in textbooks.

I ended up finding a full time job with a solo ophthalmology practice who was looking for someone with my background and training. Now I provide full range of optometric care including refractions, routine medical care, emergency care, specialty contact lens fits, and low vision. The residency definitely helped me secure a job as well as prep me for this type of career. In the end, even if I didn't get to work with medical optometry, I would definitely say that residency was "worth it."

Yoyo! Wow!! Where did you do your residency?? Ocular disease and refractive surgery! Now that sounds like something I wanna do! Where did you go to optometry school?

Thanks!

Yoyo! Wow!! Where did you do your residency?? Ocular disease and refractive surgery! Now that sounds like something I wanna do! Where did you go to optometry school?

Thanks!

Hey eyepdesai, I went to SCCO. I did my residency at Eye Care Associates of Nevada, affiliated with Pacific University College of Optometry.

Would residency be required to specialize in specialty contact lenses? Or can you just go through lectures/conferences/read books/etc. to know what is necessary to do things like lenses for keratoconus, multifocal lenses, or ortho k?