Did you do a summer program before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing the MED program at UNC this summer and I really have no idea what I'm getting into. I've talked to a few people who have done it at UNC and they've given me some good information but I wondered if anyone else had done one somewhere else and what you thought about it.

I've never taken anatomy and physiology, or microbiology, and a huge part of the hours we're doing are in biochem. I had one class in undergrad but no lab in biochem. Any tips?

Also, if anyone reading this is doing the program in Chapel Hill this summer, PM me. I'd love to meet another SDNer who will be there.

Members don't see this ad.

mustangsally65 said:
I'm doing the MED program at UNC this summer and I really have no idea what I'm getting into. I've talked to a few people who have done it at UNC and they've given me some good information but I wondered if anyone else had done one somewhere else and what you thought about it.

I've never taken anatomy and physiology, or microbiology, and a huge part of the hours we're doing are in biochem. I had one class in undergrad but no lab in biochem. Any tips?

Also, if anyone reading this is doing the program in Chapel Hill this summer, PM me. I'd love to meet another SDNer who will be there.

No, I didn't do a summer program. Also, I took biochem in undergrad without lab (I've never done biochem lab in fact...med school included). I felt very well prepared for biochem in med. school. Summer program is NOT necessary.

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm reapplying this year for the entering class of 2007, so I'm not starting med school in the fall. :p

I just wondered what people thought about summer programs. Sorry for the confusion. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
mustangsally65 said:
I guess I should have been more specific. I'm reapplying this year for the entering class of 2007, so I'm not starting med school in the fall. :p

I just wondered what people thought about summer programs. Sorry for the confusion. :D

I think if a summer program *actually* teaches you some of the material you'd learn in med school, then it's a great idea. A lot of my classmates have taken the basic classes (physio, some anatomy, biochem, etc) in undergrad and I always felt like I was catching up. My only worry is that you're not going to learn much in just one summer (especially if the program focuses on biochem and you have already it). I think it's really up to you. Like the other poster said, a summer program isn't necessary, but it can't hurt (and if fact I would have probably done a summer program if my school had offered a good one).

mustangsally65 said:

I did a program last summer in Cleveland and it was a phucking blast! You'll love it because you're around people who are focused and interested in the same goal as you. It was difficult at times, but I'm really glad I did it. Besides, when I was interviewing all the adcoms asked me about my experiences. I got to see lots of medical procedures, interact with people who have connections, and get a better feel for what to expect in med school. Great thing to do with a summer.

I saw that you applied to ETSU. You should check out their Doctors of Tomorrow summer program. I took it last summer and it was a sure fire way into meeting the med school's top dogs and gain some valuable shadowing experience. We had full access to all that a doctor does in a day from everything to rural medicine to the OR. Very well run program and it comes with free housing and a stipend. I tell you, the staff, faculty, and students are the absolute best at Quillen. I had no problem matriculating there with that under my belt.