Did you get A's in the class of your science LOR writer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedked

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the professors who wrote your science LORs, did you all get A's in their classes?

I'm not the best student in the sciences, so far I've gotten B's in my science classes. (No, don't assume that it's because I'm stupid or too lazy). I haven't really gotten to know my science professors well enough. how can I make a good impression with a professor whose class I might not have a perfect grade in?

Members don't see this ad.

For the professors who wrote your science LORs, did you all get A's in their classes?

I'm not the best student in the sciences, so far I've gotten B's in my science classes. (No, don't assume that it's because I'm stupid or too lazy). I haven't really gotten to know my science professors well enough. how can I make a good impression with a professor whose class I might not have a perfect grade in?

Yes, I did. Makes it easier. I got 100 in one of my biochem classes. Prof said he's never given out a 100. That was nice. Plus we talked at length about sports.

So, your best bet is to chat them up. They're people too. With feelings and a soul... most of them at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
In one of them yes

In the other I had the choice of picking a teacher who didn't know me as well but I got an A vs a teacher who knew me very well but got a B. Went with the latter.

I have gotten credit for bio independent research and the prof in charge of the program contributed to my grade. Could this prof count as a science LOR?

I have gotten credit for bio independent research and the prof in charge of the program contributed to my grade. Could this prof count as a science LOR?

I'm gonna go with no. It needs to be a real science class.

I got a quite nice letter from my ochem prof, and I got a B+ in his class. *shrug*

yes, at some schools

For med school LORs, yes. But back before I wanted to be a physician, I applied for a grad program in political science. I think I got A's in two of my letter writers' classes and a B+ in one. I worked out just fine. If the professor knows you and know that you worked really hard for a non-A grade (especially in a tough class), they'll write you a good letter.

My opinion would that you should either have an A in their class or know the professor well from having spent time in their office hours interacting with them so they understand why you don't have an A.

Or, ideally, have an A and have spent time getting to know them.

I got an A- and a B from my professors who wrote me LORs.

I emphasized GOOD letters when asking them.

I got a letter from a prof from whom I received a B in his physio class and at the time of the letter writing, he didn't have the final grade for the 2nd class I took with him. However, it was "looking good" and I did end up with an A.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not about the grade, it's about what they know about you.

My grades:
1st Sci: A-, and he doesn't curve. Majority of the class: B-. I worked in his lab.
2nd Sci: A, and I worked in his lab.
3rd Sci: B+, A, B+. Sees how hard I work and what I'm "accomplishing".

Hey OP, I was in your same position last semester. I've gotten mostly B's in science classes. I did get an A in one of my LOR writer's classes, but I was totally I stumped as to who to ask for a second science prof. My grades weren't stellar and I've never gotten very close to any of my science professors. (I'm not really the office hours type.)

Eventually, I decided to talk to my second semester organic chem professor, even though I got a B- in his class. He knew I had gone to study sessions and really tried to comprehend the material, and we got to talking about what I had been up to, why I wanted to enter medicine, what I learned from the class, etc. His letter probably won't be the best of my lot, but I know he'll still write a pretty damn good one because of how much he cares about his students.

So my advice is this: find professors who you know are really involved with their students, convince them you want to go into medicine for the right reasons (and can handle the intensity of it), and then possibly use that letter to address the fact that you don't have a 4.0 science GPA.

All my science letters will be from classes I only got a B-B+ in. Its not really so much about the grade as it is about how much time you actually spent with the professor and if they're willing to right a strong positive LOR. Don't be scared into thinking you have to get an A in the class in order to have a prof write you a LOR.

LOR horror story: I was in an 80-person lecture class, and had a teacher from hell. Not that I didn't try sucking up; I was one of about six people whose names she knew, answered questions in class, and went to office hours. Well, the only problem was the exams were insanely difficult (and had multiple/wrong answers, but whatever), and I ended up with an 89.7 in the class, which she wouldn't round up to an A (Still hurts a little+pity+). Anyway, so I asked her for a LOR about a month later, to which she replied (and this is a direct quote):

"Wouldn't you rather have a letter from a professor in a class you earned an 'A' in?"

B!tch.

LOR horror story: I was in an 80-person lecture class, and had a teacher from hell. Not that I didn't try sucking up; I was one of about six people whose names she knew, answered questions in class, and went to office hours. Well, the only problem was the exams were insanely difficult (and had multiple/wrong answers, but whatever), and I ended up with an 89.7 in the class, which she wouldn't round up to an A (Still hurts a little+pity+). Anyway, so I asked her for a LOR about a month later, to which she replied (and this is a direct quote):

"Wouldn't you rather have a letter from a professor in a class you earned an 'A' in?"

B!tch.

What a bitter old whure.

My best letter came from a professor I got a B+ and then A- from but knew extremely well.

My worst letter came from my Ochem professor which I got an A in first semester and had a 100% in second semester when I asked for the letter, which he mentioned in the letter.

I am terrible at physics but one of my letters is from my physics professors because he knew me well, knew my work ethic, etc.

Her disco stick wasn't shiny enough?

She didn't play a good love game?

Let's just say, it was a pretty bad romance...

I mean its not your fault, you were just born that way

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

W3iuo.gif

My best letter came from a professor I got a B+ and then A- from but knew extremely well.

My worst letter came from my Ochem professor which I got an A in first semester and had a 100% in second semester when I asked for the letter, which he mentioned in the letter.

I am terrible at physics but one of my letters is from my physics professors because he knew me well, knew my work ethic, etc.
Wow, you actually saw your LORs? Maybe they wrote weak ones because you didn't check the box giving up that privilege?

Wow, you actually saw your LORs? Maybe they wrote weak ones because you didn't check the box giving up that privilege?

Sorry, I should have said that all my letters were good. When I say worst I guess I just did not like what he included compared to the others but it was still a positive reflection. The only reason I saw all my letters was because I went through a special committee and the director gave me hard copies of the entire thing (without my asking).

One of my letters was a B, but I worked with the prof in the lab and was a TA for him.

The other letter was an A-, but he was my mentor/advisor.

None of my letters were from any professors that I just took a class with and got an A. I would've probably gotten a worse letter.

I would say that your relationship with the professor is almost as important as the grade you recieved from them. A LOR from a class you aced, but from a prof who barely knows you will be very superficial.

Out of all of the letters that committies read, I would be willing to bet that 90% of them say relatively the same thing. Stand out & be noticed

Nope. I got a "B" from one of my letter writers. That's why I chose his letter. He said good things despite not being the best student in the class.