Did you match: 2009 edition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anesthesiology!

The email was 10 minutes early. I was expecting it to be late, so I was a little confused. It was just there and I clicked on it. No bold print? While the word, "Congratulations!" had a nice exclamation point, it should have been 50 point font, flashing gold, silver, red, and shooting out fireworks.

After a quick prayer of gratitude, I called all my family, posted it on facebook, and had a huge smile the rest of the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone who matched, and good luck to those who are going to scramble.

In order to make this thread a bit more informative for us IMGs, can the IMGs that matched please identify themselves as IMGs, a ballpark of their USMLE scores, what field they applied to, etc. ?

I'm applying to next year's match, and I'm getting tense just listening to people talk about this year's match...seems like it was a very tough year.

Thanks.

Matched into Ob/Gyn!! So excited.

Best of luck to those scrambling on St. Patrick's Day... gotta be lucky :luck:.

Best of luck to those scrambling on St. Patrick's Day... gotta be lucky :luck:.

Yeah maybe I should scramble after a pint of Guiness. Maybe I will do better then:eek:

Congradualations to everybody that matched, I am an IMG with double 99 score on the boards, I didn't match

Congradualations to everybody that matched, I am an IMG with double 99 score on the boards, I didn't match

Good luck in the scramble! What specialty were you going for?
In any case, with those creds you should land someplace nice.

I matched into Neurology- I am an IMG with 90's on both steps.

well... just another future radiologist here :)

Hello to all SNDrs out there, this is my first post and I want to thank you guys so much for all the effort and help you give to people traveling this rather bumpy road.

I will share details soon enough (I need a little time to write it), but in short, I'm an IMG from Colombia, no visa, 1 year of research at a well known institution (no publications at the time of applications). Got 99/240 and 99/242 on step 1 and 2ck respectively and passed cs. I guess the details of preparation are not for this thread, but again, i'll post them later this week in a pertinenet one.

I'm extremely happy to learn that I did match in General surgery, got 7 interviews and ranked 4 programs.

Congratulations to all of you who matched and good luck tomorrow for those scrambling. For those reading this as information for future applications, hang in there, it certainly is 'doable'.

Good luck in the scramble! What specialty were you going for?
In any case, with those creds you should land someplace nice.
Thanks Relaxed MD, I applied for Pathology and I scrambled today but didn't get anything

I like the mix of US grads and imgs posting on this thread. Congrats to all!

IMGs: Its important for the imgs to apply broadly. IMO get their feet into as many doors as possible before interviewing begins. I have observed that having high high scores dont nec guarantee a match. Good Luck to all that are scrambling!

I scrambled today, no luck. I am not an IMG, and have an unrestricted NY license but can't use it due to a big gap in seeing patients. Evidently this is worse than being an IMG without a visa.

Hello to all SNDrs out there, this is my first post and I want to thank you guys so much for all the effort and help you give to people traveling this rather bumpy road.

I will share details soon enough (I need a little time to write it), but in short, I'm an IMG from Colombia, no visa, 1 year of research at a well known institution (no publications at the time of applications). Got 99/240 and 99/242 on step 1 and 2ck respectively and passed cs. I guess the details of preparation are not for this thread, but again, i'll post them later this week in a pertinenet one.

I'm extremely happy to learn that I did match in General surgery, got 7 interviews and ranked 4 programs.

Congratulations to all of you who matched and good luck tomorrow for those scrambling. For those reading this as information for future applications, hang in there, it certainly is 'doable'.

thanks for sharing your details. congrats on matching.:love: did you match into a cat or a prelim? BTW I am an IMG and I also matched into GS prelim. Score double 99 in both steps, no visa issues, 2 mo of USCE, I mo of research, no publications, 1 LOR from US GS.

thanks for sharing your details. congrats on matching.:love: did you match into a cat or a prelim? BTW I am an IMG and I also matched into GS prelim. Score double 99 in both steps, no visa issues, 2 mo of USCE, I mo of research, no publications, 1 LOR from US GS.

I´m not sure, i'm hoping cat. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know.
How can you be sure you matched in a prelim?

It will tell you in both the "did i match" email and on the NRMP site. It will say Congrats you have matched if you matched into a categorical program and it will say you matched into a one year position if you matched to a prelim only. Something to that effect...

I thought it only said so if you ranked an advanced program in addition to your preliminary list.
But for my own benefit:
Wow!! that´s great news then! I guess I got a categorical spot!

I thought it only said so if you ranked an advanced program in addition to your preliminary list.
But for my own benefit:
Wow!! that´s great news then! I guess I got a categorical spot!
yeah this is true.

If your result says that congrats you have matched than it means you have a cat spot. All my friend including me got same msg with additional comment that we have matched to a one yr position. So congrats especially if you were an IMG and ranked only 4 prog and still matched into cat GS in these competitive yrs....
clip_image001.gif
:love:

Any how do you mind answering a question of mine. I originally posted it on General surgery forum but no body answered it. May be you can share some thoughts on this topic.
It goes without saying that every body wants a categorical spot. Many IMGs apply to both prelim and cat so that if program does not consider them for a cat, it may at least rank them for a prelim spot. There is a concept that if you apply to a cat as well as prelim, then programs consider this a weak sign in your application. They think that probably this person is not confident in himself and that's why applying in prelim as well. During my IVs I met an applicant from Caribbean med school who had 13 IV last year and still got a prelim. She told me that in her experience applying to prelim and cat is not a wise decision due to above mentioned theory......

I applied both to prelim and cat during this match and when program emailed me the invitation they did not mention if the IV was for prelim or cat spot. Same was the case with other applicants I met. During one IV, I asked the PD that how will I know that if the program is ranking me for a prelim or a cat sine I have applied to both. He said that basically I will never know. They will evaluate me after the interview and rank me for a prelim or cat. As I am an IMG, he said that I will need excellent evaluations from other attending I interviewed with to get a cat spot. He still advised me to rank categorical of his program on top and prelim at the bottom of my ROL.

I was also under the impression that it does not matter that if you apply to cat or prelim, ultimately it is the decision of the program to rank you. This especially holds true for IMGs. Many a times people apply to only cat and they get IV/ranked only for prelim. I had 6 IV in which program did not mention abt the nature of IV ( prelim or Cat ) as I applied for both. 3 other were for pure prelim. total : 9. I ranked all of them with categorical at the top and prelim at the bottom. I ultimately have matched to a prelim spot...which is what was expecting.....I have 2 months of USCE and 1 mo research and only 1 LOR from a US GS (not the best credentials for a cat spot) I was thinking that if I had listened to that girl from Caribbean school and had applied to only cat and ranked only cat on my ROL, would it had made any difference? Is applying both to cat and prelim a weak sign? Its important for me to know the facts cos I will have to apply this yr in Sept. If there was a mistake in my application I should correct it for future.

Well, I honestly don´t think I hold any authority on these matters but I´ll answer to the best of my knowledge:
I applied for both prelim and categorical positions at every single program I applied to (37 or 38 not sure). As I said before, I got seven interviews and three of the programs were very clear in saying they were interviewing me only for a preliminary position; still, I always asked during the interviews, just to see if I could charm them into reconsidering, which of course didn't happen. Of the other four, two specifically said in the invitation letter that they were interviewing me for a categorical position and in the other two I had to ask their secretary/coordinator for clarification.

Having said that, it is something that always came up in the interviews, and I dont personally think is shows weakness, rather it shows you are smart enough to be aware of the fact that you're playing against the odds and that your trying to increase your chances to the max. I don´t think there is point in trying to "hide" this disadvantage we clearly have, it´s a fact and the PDs know it, I think bringing it up yourself during the interviews (if pertinent), also shows you´re mature and and it does get a little bit of the awkwardeness out of the way; if anything it shows you're confident enough on the strenght of your application to discuss it openly.
As for the ranking, again I´m not sure, but I ranked the categorical programs first and then the preliminary ones, starting after the lowest of my categorical options.

This is my opinion based only on my own experience, if I had to give dome advice I would say that the best thing you can do know is kick some serious rear-end during your first couple of months in the program you´ll start in june and get strong letters for the next season, otherwise your profile sounds great, I believe that (for IMGs) usmle scores and US letters are probably the most important piece of the application. I certainly wish the best of luck.:thumbup:

Also, i hope you guys are right about my email meaning I got a categorical spot, otherwise i´ll be feeling not so good at noon on thursday. It said: "Congratulations! You have matched."

I agree with Camillo that USMLE scores and US LORs are extremely important. I have seen IMGs with multiple pubs go unmatched (in various surgical specialties) because the PDs and faculty weren't so sure in their gut if this person would be a reliable and capable resident with effective communication skills. USCE is absolutely critical.

Congrats to all the posters above and below for matching!!!
This is an unbelievable week.

Neurosurgery here I come!!!!

Well, I honestly don´t think I hold any authority on these matters but I´ll answer to the best of my knowledge:
I applied for both prelim and categorical positions at every single program I applied to (37 or 38 not sure). As I said before, I got seven interviews and three of the programs were very clear in saying they were interviewing me only for a preliminary position; still, I always asked during the interviews, just to see if I could charm them into reconsidering, which of course didn't happen. Of the other four, two specifically said in the invitation letter that they were interviewing me for a categorical position and in the other two I had to ask their secretary/coordinator for clarification.

Having said that, it is something that always came up in the interviews, and I dont personally think is shows weakness, rather it shows you are smart enough to be aware of the fact that you're playing against the odds and that your trying to increase your chances to the max. I don´t think there is point in trying to "hide" this disadvantage we clearly have, it´s a fact and the PDs know it, I think bringing it up yourself during the interviews (if pertinent), also shows you´re mature and and it does get a little bit of the awkwardeness out of the way; if anything it shows you're confident enough on the strenght of your application to discuss it openly.
As for the ranking, again I´m not sure, but I ranked the categorical programs first and then the preliminary ones, starting after the lowest of my categorical options.

This is my opinion based only on my own experience, if I had to give dome advice I would say that the best thing you can do know is kick some serious rear-end during your first couple of months in the program you´ll start in june and get strong letters for the next season, otherwise your profile sounds great, I believe that (for IMGs) usmle scores and US letters are probably the most important piece of the application. I certainly wish the best of luck.:thumbup:

Also, i hope you guys are right about my email meaning I got a categorical spot, otherwise i´ll be feeling not so good at noon on thursday. It said: "Congratulations! You have matched."

thanks for your opinion. yeah I also believe that applying to prelim and cat at the same time does not produce a neg impact on your application. any how I was a little hopeful that I may get a cat spot. but after getting a prelim I am just trying to figure it out that what went wrong. As Jabez said I also think PDs are reluctant to give cat spot to an IMG who just has 2 mo of USCE in ER and a surg specialty and only 1 LOR from a US GS and no clinical experience in home country. Hopefully I will be improve my application in these 2 avenues when I apply again next yr.

I also wish you good luck for tomorrow.

I agree with Camillo that USMLE scores and US LORs are extremely important. I have seen IMGs with multiple pubs go unmatched (in various surgical specialties) because the PDs and faculty weren't so sure in their gut if this person would be a reliable and capable resident with effective communication skills. USCE is absolutely critical.

Congrats to all the posters above and below for matching!!!
This is an unbelievable week.

Neurosurgery here I come!!!!

could not agree more

thunder hawk,
congrats on landing a prelim spot in GS.
i think you have very good stats and have a very realistic chance of matching into a competitive GS program if you work your ass off as a PGY-1. as you already know, i think the main reason that perhaps held you back may have been your relative lack of USCE +/- US LORs. Your USMLE scores and research background (i take it that you're a MudPhud) are strong.
think of this as a chance for you to truly level the playing field so that you can get into a top-notch GS program next year. you have all the right ingredients to be a very successful applicant - you just gotta show that you got what it takes to the 'right' ppl in the US.
you may very realistically get a PGY-2 spot next year in GS and not end up wasting any time whatsoever. also, with your strengthened CV (enhanced with 1 year of additional US experience), you may get into a much better program than you otherwise would have this year without the internship behind you.
i also am an IMG - from Down Under.
you can make it happen man, don't ever give up.
celebrate! i think we all deserve some champagne this week. after all, we have a job to go to, come July 1.

Last edited:
thunder hawk,
congrats on landing a prelim spot in GS.
i think you have very good stats and have a very realistic chance of matching into a competitive GS program if you work your ass off as a PGY-1. as you already know, i think the main reason that perhaps held you back may have been your relative lack of USCE +/- US LORs. Your USMLE scores and research background (i take it that you're a MudPhud) are strong.
think of this as a chance for you to truly level the playing field so that you can get into a top-notch GS program next year. you have all the right ingredients to be a very successful applicant - you just gotta show that you got what it takes to the 'right' ppl in the US.
you may very realistically get a PGY-2 spot next year in GS and not end up wasting any time whatsoever. also, with your strengthened CV (enhanced with 1 year of additional US experience), you may get into a much better program than you otherwise would have this year without the internship behind you.
i also am an IMG - from Down Under.
you can make it happen man, don't ever give up.
celebrate! i think we all deserve some champagne this week. after all, we have a job to go to, come July 1.

thanks for your kind words, really appreciate it. Just for clarification, I have a good research background but I am not a MD/PhD, just MD. Sorry for showing it in my avatar. and yes congrats on getting Neurosurg and I hope you will get your dream prog today.

Early emails once again. 10 min early. Congrats to all....enjoy the last couple of months of school! Cant wait to get a real paycheck....i am finally earning min wage! Woo hoo.