1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you think of this?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by CoolRX, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CoolRX

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm currently considering medicine and dentistry as a career. I've thought of other health professions, but it seems I've narrowed it down somewhat to these two.

Can I use MCAT study guides to study the biology, inorganic/organic chemistry portion for the DAT? I figured since they are basically the same knowledge, there should be no difference. The only thing is how questions are phrased on the MCAT vs DAT.

In my case, I would just study the science portion from the MCAT study guide and use DAT materials online to gauge my readiness.

Thank you for your input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ajhalls3

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Not to sidestep your question but you might want to spend more time shadowing till you find the right profession. I have seen several people that have both switched after the first year and started over, and those that decided that they were in the wrong one but didn't see a way to change. Figure out what you want first, then go get it with all your heart.

4. buckey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    +1

But to answer your question about study materials, yes the two science sections are mostly interchangeable. From what I have gathered the Ochem section on the DAT might be more detailed and also remember that the DAT is more of a memory recall sort of test and the MCAT is more of a comprehension/recall hybrid test.