Did you think of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently considering medicine and dentistry as a career. I've thought of other health professions, but it seems I've narrowed it down somewhat to these two.

Can I use MCAT study guides to study the biology, inorganic/organic chemistry portion for the DAT? I figured since they are basically the same knowledge, there should be no difference. The only thing is how questions are phrased on the MCAT vs DAT.

In my case, I would just study the science portion from the MCAT study guide and use DAT materials online to gauge my readiness.

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to sidestep your question but you might want to spend more time shadowing till you find the right profession. I have seen several people that have both switched after the first year and started over, and those that decided that they were in the wrong one but didn't see a way to change. Figure out what you want first, then go get it with all your heart.

Not to sidestep your question but you might want to spend more time shadowing till you find the right profession. I have seen several people that have both switched after the first year and started over, and those that decided that they were in the wrong one but didn't see a way to change. Figure out what you want first, then go get it with all your heart.
+1

But to answer your question about study materials, yes the two science sections are mostly interchangeable. From what I have gathered the Ochem section on the DAT might be more detailed and also remember that the DAT is more of a memory recall sort of test and the MCAT is more of a comprehension/recall hybrid test.