didn't convert when i got hep B series, titer negative =(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to schedule away rotations and finding out that they want hep B, MMR, titers

it's a bit late for me to start another series and get my hep B titer back for when i want to start (programs require all the paperwork in at the same time, months ahead of starting the rotation)

anyone else have this problem in the past???

i've heard that this is very common in Asians :(

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't convert either. And I'm not asian. They should start by giving you 2 boosters, 1 month apart.

trying to schedule away rotations and finding out that they want hep B, MMR, titers

it's a bit late for me to start another series and get my hep B titer back for when i want to start (programs require all the paperwork in at the same time, months ahead of starting the rotation)

anyone else have this problem in the past???

i've heard that this is very common in Asians :(

According to my titers, I never had ANY immunizations except questionably rubella (just over the "positive" threshold by a hair). HepB, varicella, MMR... all negative despite complete vaccinations as recent as Varivax at the beginning of med school. My school nurse attached my titers to my away rotation apps, documented that I got a bunch of boosters (ouch), and I didn't have any issues with scheduling aways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't convert initially (I'm also not asian) and needed a couple boosters to get to the appropriate level. However, I'm surprised your school didn't require you to fix this earlier on (I had to take care of it during my first year). Shouldn't be a big deal, assuming you've had the full series, places should accept that as long as you provide documentation that you have since had additional boosters but haven't been able to recheck titers yet. My school was not overly concerned about it...it's not uncommon to not seroconvert....the key is to be proactive about correcting the problem.

Some people really don't convert...someone never got a positive titer to varicella despite having had chicken pox as a kid AND a couple vaccines.

I didn't convert for Hep B either. They gave me a booster series, but they only do that once. If you still don't convert it doesn't matter, you are presumed to have immunity. Titers just show that you were exposed to the antigen, they don't actually measure your level of immunity to the pathogen. You should just make sure you file a copy of the titer and booster records so that you can avoid further shots in the future (when you start residency).

by law they cant require that you get it anyway you can write a letter to the effect that says I DECLINE THE VACCINATION

I didn't convert for a couple of them, and I think Hep B was one, and I think mumps was another. I'll go get boosters when I think of it.

I didn't convert for Hep B either. They gave me a booster series, but they only do that once. If you still don't convert it doesn't matter, you are presumed to have immunity. Titers just show that you were exposed to the antigen, they don't actually measure your level of immunity to the pathogen. You should just make sure you file a copy of the titer and booster records so that you can avoid further shots in the future (when you start residency).

I am currently doing the 3 shots all over again after a negative titer. Do you know what issues a medical student may face with clinical rotations and residency if a non-responder to the hep b vaccine? Im worried this will prevent me from finishing school...maybe I'm overreacting haha

I am currently doing the 3 shots all over again after a negative titer. Do you know what issues a medical student may face with clinical rotations and residency if a non-responder to the hep b vaccine? Im worried this will prevent me from finishing school...maybe I'm overreacting haha

You're overreacting. Just present documentation of repeating the series again. It's not that unusual; you'll be able to work in health care.

Reactions: 1 user
To the person who said just decline the vaccine I very strongly recommend against this. I did 130 surgeries, no needles sticks, not even close, thought I would never have an issue, then got stuck 2 days in a row. One I was stabbed with an exparel needle that a scrub hurse who was overly energetic was handing to my attending, another was my own fault while I was suturing. These experiences made me understand why surgeons are so anal retentive about doing their surgeries the same way every time as much as possible.

As a Med student you are often in very uncontrolled situations. You’re likely an extra person scrubbed in, often with extra people scrubbed in beside you (I once participated in a case where I was one of 7 people scrubbed in with another 9 observing nearby), you are often standing in a weird place the scrub nurse is not used to someone standing, the scrub nurse is likely standing in an unusual place to accommodate you, you’re often working in a procedure you’re only moderately familiar with, with equipment and attending physicians you’re only moderately familiar with, when you suture you’re often being rushed, or someone else is also suturing 3-6 in away from your hand, tugging the abdomen while you’re trying to stick needles into flesh, attendings are asking you questions and distracting you from what you are doing while you are trying to concentrate on a task you’re not yet an expert at. There is a lot that can go wrong, so take that for what it’s worth.