Didn't match- now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleHarmonicMotion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't match this cycle. As an applicant with a <200 Step 1 score, I had expected to be screened out of a majority of programs and was cautiously hopeful at the beginning of application season. But once I received 14 interviews at university academic institutions, I felt certain I had a good shot- which makes this all the more heartbreaking. I have done all I could to bolster my application in other fronts including Step 2/3 in 240s, top 20th percentile ITE during residency all 3 years, >10 posters/publications, and overall strong LOR from my institution (mid-tier large university program) as a US MD.
At this point, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to help myself in future application cycles and the further I'll be removed from residency, the more difficult I fear this will be. Should I bother trying again and getting my hopes up in the future or just go the hospitalist route? Any suggestions on what else I can do to improve my application or do during my reapplication gap year(s)? When I reapply, should I tell programs I previously did not match?
Congratulations to all that matched!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that you didn't match. I think that getting 14 interviews means that you are a strong candidate despite your low step 1 and if I were you I would reapply. Programs can't see your ITE scores and IM PD's are not allowed to disclose them from what I understand--they can merely talk about your performance in vague terms. I think you need to have people call your top programs on your behalf next time you apply. When programs rank they have to use SOME kind of metric, so maybe a good percentage used step 1, which does seem ridiculous at this point. You should always rank according to your own preference, but maybe it would be worthwhile to have a mentor or PD call the most "realistic" program on your rank list to tell them you are highly interested.

Can you do a chief year at a different institution? That would all but guarantee that you match next cycle. Otherwise get a job that you might otherwise enjoy, make some money, make more connections, publish papers and reapply next year. Good luck!

I would reach out and try to figure out what happened. You are a statistical outlier and I would wonder if there was an issue with your interviews before I assumed it was something to do with your application. In all likelihood that probably was it since it was brutally competitive in pccm this year but it would be good to know and not waste another year applying and focusing on the wrong area.

Other than that agree with above, it is very much about who you know and having people come to bat for you.