Diels-Alder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

metsfan692

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is diels-alder something we have to know for the DAT/has anyone ever had a question on this?

In Chad's videos he touches on it and says the only thing we need to know is a very basic diels-alder. However in Qvault I've been coming across complicated Diels-alder questions with bicylics involved. How in depth should I go with Diels-alder?
 
Is diels-alder something we have to know for the DAT/has anyone ever had a question on this?

In Chad's videos he touches on it and says the only thing we need to know is a very basic diels-alder. However in Qvault I've been coming across complicated Diels-alder questions with bicylics involved. How in depth should I go with Diels-alder?

Yes,,,,,a Diels Alder reaction is the best way to make a 6 membered ring. No complicated reactions are needed......just be able to do a diene that is conjugated with 1. a dienophile such as an alkyne or substituted alkene or 2. with Maleic anhydride. Consult the examples in any organic text book.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano