Diet and psychiatric illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duiplfrog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends. I’m doing an integrative med month right now and have been asked to do a power point on the link between diet and mood (depression and anxiety more specifically). My doc wants me to touch on omega 3s, glycemic control etc. Anyone know of reputable sources for this?
I’ve done a search and seen a link for a omega 3 and depression article http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/MedicineCuttingEdge/story?id=129498&page=1 but not much else.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi friends. I’m doing an integrative med month right now and have been asked to do a power point on the link between diet and mood (depression and anxiety more specifically). My doc wants me to touch on omega 3s, glycemic control etc. Anyone know of reputable sources for this?
I’ve done a search and seen a link for a omega 3 and depression article http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/MedicineCuttingEdge/story?id=129498&page=1 but not much else.
Thanks!

What kind of search did you do? I would hope that your med school taught you how to use Ovid or Medline, or at least PubMed! You've got to go deeper than Google and Wikipedia for this stuff!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I meant a search on this forum. Thanks for the constructive help though.

Aside from the Omega Fatty acids...

Folate, Vit B12 & S-Adenosyl Methionine also have evidence linking their effects on mood disorders.

Several have argued that "food addiction" is a psychiatric disorder although there is no official DSM dx. Its hard to categorize food as addicting because its necessary for survival but there are cases of people getting an endogenous opioid rush from ingesting large amounts of high fat & high sugar foods quickly, and then continuing this for the opioid rush in food binges. This is one of the probably reasons why opioid addicts trying to get off their addiction start eating lots of ice cream. In fact eating ice cream is something of an IVDA street remedy for treating opioid withdrawal.
-and when a person is obese, its harder for them to get lose weight supposedly because of the increased production of leptins & insulin in the body.

And may not be what you're looking for but there's several papers on the link between unhealthy diets & mental illness. Schizophrenics for example often suffer from higher levels of metabolic disorders, not only because of their meds but also because of their diets.