Diet for mental performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am somewhat of a health fanatic but i've focused almost exclusively on physical health. On a whim i decided to do a little reasearch on mental health and diet this morning. I found some articles that pointed to B vitamins and Omega3s fats as essential to maximum brain function. I also read that L-Tyrosine functions as a CNS stimulant.

Omega3S and brain function

Does anyone else have any information on diet and brain function? I am interested in the function of other vitamins/etc in brain function as well as the validity of the claims that Vit B and omega3s are good for the brain.

Members don't see this ad.

Good questions, I did this when studying for the MCAT.

Omega thre and Omega six fatty acids are good for everything, especially mental function.

I've also taken alot of neurotransmitter precursors. Acetyl L Carnitine, N Acetyl Cysteine, Phosphatydal Choline. These are all synthesized naturally by the body but you can easily bump up your levels, and this leads to increased mental performance. If you'd like to keep this thread open I'll hunt down some research links for you.

By the way, how's the knee?

Originally posted by lukeday99
Good questions, I did this when studying for the MCAT.

Omega thre and Omega six fatty acids are good for everything, especially mental function.

I've also taken alot of neurotransmitter precursors. Acetyl L Carnitine, N Acetyl Cysteine, Phosphatydal Choline. These are all synthesized naturally by the body but you can easily bump up your levels, and this leads to increased mental performance. If you'd like to keep this thread open I'll hunt down some research links for you.

That would be great

By the way, how's the knee?

Feeling about 10X better. I would say the swelling is pretty much entirely gone. I havent really used it much since i injured it though. We'll see how it goes tuesday when i go back to practice.

The natural form of vitamin E (found in fruits like blueberries, strawberries, etc) has been shown to improve memory in people and in animals. It's also been shown to prevent Alzheimer's disease as well. Only the fruit-based form seems to work though, the studies haven't been as promising when looking at the processed vitamin supplements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know omega3 and 6 are found in "fatty" fish like salmon...

B vitamins are probably rich in leafy veges like spinach although I'm not entirely sure on that one.

I just wrote an e-mail to a friend of mine who's a nutritionist and knows about, well, everything. Hopefully he writes back soon and I'll send the info on to y'all.

Don't forget to eliminate foods with high insulin responses (this usually translates well to avoid foods with high glycemic loads, like white bread, wheat bread, multigrain bread that lists wheat or refined grains as its first or second ingrediant, any other trick bread that tastes too good to be whole grain, pizza, cookies, ho hos, cake, ice cream, semolina, white rice, most types of potatos, any other grainy thing people mistake for vegetables, and things sweetened with maltodextrin and dextrose).

I'm not sure I'd want to take those NT precursors indefinitely, but if you find a way to cycle them prior to the exam and another way to help your body get of of them after the exam, then go for it. Omega 3s are a GREAT idea. Everybody should be taking them. I would, but the last time I had the stomach flu, I'd taken some the night before and let's just say all I could uhh "taste" the next couple of days was fish and lemon... the gag reflex has not gone away; time for some behavioral modification therapy. (Carlsons is the only brand of oil that doesn't suck. Go to your supplement store and request they have this on a regular basis so they don't run out and keep jacking the prices like the jerks in my neck of the woods).

Anyhow, sleep and exercise are vitally important. I suggest chasing the gunners around campus all day long and stealing their lunch money, as this will help you work up a sweat. Sleep will come naturally after studying MCAT physics.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Super Rob
Don't forget to eliminate foods with high insulin responses (this usually translates well to avoid foods with high glycemic loads, like white bread, wheat bread, multigrain bread that lists wheat or refined grains as its first or second ingrediant, any other trick bread that tastes too good to be whole grain, pizza, cookies, ho hos, cake, ice cream, semolina, white rice, most types of potatos, any other grainy thing people mistake for vegetables, and things sweetened with maltodextrin and dextrose).

Crap, I wonder if my delicious honey wheat has been lying to me:(:( Guess i should replace my white rice with brown rice to (I knew this anyway but come on, white rice tastes better and takes less time to cook).

Good post:)

Don't do an Atkins Diet, it makes your brain work slower theoretically since you are eliminating carbs, the main preferred source of fuel for the brain.

Carbs are good for the brain.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Don't do an Atkins Diet, it makes your brain work slower theoretically since you are eliminating carbs, the main preferred source of fuel for the brain.

Carbs are good for the brain.

not true- while low carbing, the body maintains a more steady blood sugar level. there is still plenty of glucose to power the brain. like a previous poster stated, you want to avoid high glycemic foods because they create an insulin spike. eating something like sugar creates an insulin surge, and consequently a drop to less than normal blood sugar levels. these lower glucose levels create cravings and possibly decreased or slower brain function.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by misconception?
one important thing to do on the day of the MCAT (and any day for that matter) is to have protein for breakfast rather than something the contains a lot of sugar. you will be able to concentrate longer. i had a friend though who always had problems with time taking the MCAT so he started eating a lifesaver every four minutes during practice tests. on the real thing he scored a 41 so he might be on to something as well..

really, hmmm my biggest concern right now is timing..

Originally posted by Cerberus
An improvement but preallo is better because it relates to people who have already taken the mcat. Keep blocking my diabolical plans and i'll unleash my hamsters on you!

Uh oh...those hamsters can be feisty...best not be messing with a pre-med in the midst of mcat studying. ;)

one important thing to do on the day of the MCAT (and any day for that matter) is to have protein for breakfast rather than something the contains a lot of sugar. you will be able to concentrate longer. i had a friend though who always had problems with time taking the MCAT so he started eating a lifesaver every four minutes during practice tests. on the real thing he scored a 41 so he might be on to something as well..

I don't fully understand. You say to avoid sugars...but then you tell your friend's anecdote about the benefits of lifesavers....Aren't lifesavers pure sugar? Anyhow, keep it coming...this post is very informative.

As far as the phosphaditylserine and choline go, they won't help unless you are deficent in them, most people are not unless they have AD. Vit. E-yes, better circulation, will thin the blood. Not one person mentioned ginkgo, it WORKS, you will be surprised at how much it helps..everything..your dreams become more lucid, your speech flows better...your memory is tops. Other synergistic supp.'s one can take are Bacopa monerra, Vinpocitne, Gotu Kola, the Omega 3's are very good, forget about the flax though, take a B-complex, all these supplements must be taken QD for at least 2 weeks to notice a diff. The kitty is right around the corner so hit up your local GNC....and EXERCISE! Good Luck to you all, I hated that damn test!

Hey there. You guys should get some UK-lucozade drinks or some Red Bull. Before I took AAMC 6R I drank a lucozade and a Red Bull and worked through the PS, VR and BS sections all continuously with no second of breaks and I felt no pain, although I flunked :D. I plan to replicate this come MCAT day. Contrast this with 4R where I drank no energy drink and I actually felt I had worked non-stop for 24 hours :oops: .

There has been some very good advice here. I'm pleasently suprised.

Some of this stuff isn't going to immediately benefit you, so it's best to start early. Getting a lot of rest is key.

The low GI foods would be my primary suggestion after rest. Come test day, oatmeal, a banana, and a cassein protein shake (source: protein customizer online) would be my recommendation.

I take fish oil from a bottle. I personally use Health from the Sun brand. It has been microfiltered and is thus well below toxic levels for heavy metals. Consumers Labs has tested their brand and given it the thumbs up. Ideally, you're taking one or two teaspoons per day. It's also made from sardine and anchovy oil, so smaller fish that will contain less toxicity. Carlsons is another good brand, but stay away from liver oils. Way too high in Vitamin A and also more likely to contain toxins.

Flax oil is pretty good, but your body needs to convert it into DHA and EHA (the omega 3s that your body uses), and it usually isn't that efficient in doing it. It's next best to seaweed and the fish oils, I guess.

I also take Acetyl-L-Carnitine, which has a load of additional health benefits. If you're looking to improve brain funciton, make sure you get acetyl and not just L-Carnitine.

Then of course, there is old reliable caffeine.

Finally, make sure you're eating something during a long period of testing. Prunes, an apple, something. Just avoid anything that has undergone any processing.

i've been taking fish oil ginkgo and "stress vitamin formula (c,e,b6,etc..but at 2-500% dv)" this stuff gives me mad gas. is this normal?

Fish oil, particularly the stuff that isn't microdistilled, can cause gas. So can consuming too much protein all at once or a bit too much lactose.

Yeah, the fish oils can upset the stomach and give gas, however the ginkgo can cause GI upset as well. Try Bacopa or Vinpocitine.

how long does it take for the omega 3's to kick in?

i've been taking ginkgo for a few months. someone mentioned that your dreams become more lucid - and i've realized that to be true. i wake up remembering dreams, which is new to me.

Yeah, i mentioned that about the lucidity of ones dreams, the omega-3's should kick in pretty much right away b/c they are fat soluble, they more or less work in the background if you know what i mean. Don't take too many b/c one can become manic. Start supplementing with vit. e to thin that blood and try a b-complex which works synergistically with the aformentioned, also give bacopa, gotu kola, and vinpocitine a try, one would be surprised how much help these suppl's can be.

i said "i have a friend though". Though is meant to indicate that the following was a counterexample.

Sorry, my misconception! :wow:

Originally posted by Doc Martins
I heard that eating some chocolate on test day is good.....any truth to that?

Eating chocolate is always good (I'm a girl, we can find any justification to eat chocolate) and you cannot tell me otherwise....mmm...chocolate...

That's a great tradeoff! MCAT and medical school for his teeth! :D

Kaplan recommends that you should carboload the night before , do you think this is a good idea? the only times I've every carboloaded was before big field hockey games not for SATS or APs or anything like that.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I am somewhat of a health fanatic but i've focused almost exclusively on physical health. On a whim i decided to do a little reasearch on mental health and diet this morning. I found some articles that pointed to B vitamins and Omega3s fats as essential to maximum brain function. I also read that L-Tyrosine functions as a CNS stimulant.

Omega3S and brain function

Does anyone else have any information on diet and brain function? I am interested in the function of other vitamins/etc in brain function as well as the validity of the claims that Vit B and omega3s are good for the brain.

Tyrosine doesn't, but its the precursor to T3 and T4.

Omega fats are always good. I personally took RIPPED FUEL while I was studying for my MCAT and during all the exams. I don't think it failed me since I sailed through the test with a sweet sweet 29 and was admitted to a US MD granting-school.

JH

Originally posted by vegangirl
Kaplan recommends that you should carboload the night before , do you think this is a good idea? the only times I've every carboloaded was before big field hockey games not for SATS or APs or anything like that.

If lethargy is your name, carboloading is your game.

I don't recommend this, and to this day, its a mystery to me why anyone ever does.

JH