Dietary Restrictions/interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsyann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question! When you are invited to an interview that includes lunch, is it appropriate to mention any dietary restrictions when you accept the interview? Would that be frowned upon? Is it better to just not eat if you don’t know it’s “safe” for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to say this, but it's probably better if you do the latter -- just not eat it. I don't mean to convey that training sites aren't sensitive to dietary restrictions, but sometimes creating an impression that is anything less than positive is not worth it. I would actually think/hope that many sites do inform applicants that lunch will be served, and all dietary restrictions would be considered.

Reactions: 1 user
If this is for PhD/PsyD programs, I just finished 2 interviews. My first interview didn't ask about dietary restrictions, but had a vegetarian option. My second interview sent us a survey after we confirmed the interview that asked about dietary restrictions. I think it might be important to let the program know (I'm thinking especially in the case of celiac disease where symptoms could make your interview day a bit distressing). In both cases, I was put in contact with a graduate student before the interview, so it might be safe to ask/email the graduate students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question! When you are invited to an interview that includes lunch, is it appropriate to mention any dietary restrictions when you accept the interview? Would that be frowned upon? Is it better to just not eat if you don’t know it’s “safe” for you?

Yes, mention it. No one is going to judge you for having a diet restriction and if they do, do you want to be there? Having been part of internship and doctoral interviews, it's entirely appropriate.

Reactions: 1 users
Who on earth doesn't invite people to mention their allergies/restrictions for interview day?

Email whoever the contact is and mention what you can and cannot eat. It's insignificant for a program to add a salad or whatever to a lunch order, and they are used to doing it often.

Who on earth doesn't invite people to mention their allergies/restrictions for interview day?

Email whoever the contact is and mention what you can and cannot eat. It's insignificant for a program to add a salad or whatever to a lunch order, and they are used to doing it often.
In the lunch/interviews I've attended, they have always included options for those with dietary restrictions - without being asked. Granted, these have always been buffet style in a group setting.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking I’ll probably mention it but also bring something along I can eat if need be.

In my opinion, they should ask, but if they don't, I wouldn't mention a choice-based dietary restriction. I'm a vegetarian, and I don't mention it. Usually, there is a vegetarian option. However, I would reveal an allergy or intolerance based dietary restriction for sure.

I don’t understand hesitation to mention dietary things. Programs do this *all the time* for any grad student or faculty job interview, colloquium visit, etc. It is literally nothing to add whatever single thing to an order. Frankly, if an applicant came and then ate nothing and only then mentioned they were pescatarian or whatever, I’d feel bad they didn’t get to eat. Pizza is common and so many people are lactose intolerant that it is *completely normal* to adjust an order. Just ask; no one will care and no one will ever think of it again. It’s not like at the faculty meeting we all sit around talking about what people ate.

Reactions: 4 users
I would mention it. Like Parent said, if an applicant didn’t eat all day, I’d feel bad for them, and it’s really not that big of a deal to tweak/adjust a lunch order. An applicant who didn’t advocate for themselves and then didn’t eat all day might also strike me as a little passive-aggressive or lacking in terms of problem-solving skills? Don’t overthink it, just let whomever is coordinating know what’s up. If the program doesn’t/can’t accommodate your needs, then I’d definitely take that into consideration when comparing programs.

I would say there are some obvious exceptions. Eg I get hangry in about 2 hours without food, but there’s no reason a program should get me extra food so I just brought a couple protein shakes with me on interviews. But everyone should be able to eat the food at a lunch.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! I am vegan so there is a lot I don’t eat. I just don’t want to appear difficult. I’ll mention it politely. I know for the schools we are visiting for our son entering college they have asked about dietary restrictions for events, but I haven’t seen that in my process.