Dietary Supplement (CLA)

Started by bigbody
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigbody

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know of any side affects of taking CLA (conjugated linoic acid) as a dietary supplement to burn fat? Does it really work? I've read only positive things about it online, one studied showed women lost 8 % body fat by just taking the pill for a year, about 3 grams a day.
 
The study probably involved individuals that were morbidly obese. I have taken the EAS brand of CLA years ago but found no significant results. I doubt it does much in the way of lipolysis when body fat stores are in single digits. I say ditch the supplements and work on a healthy base diet and exercise routine first. There may be indications where CLA supplementation could be advantageous but not to shed a few percent off someone who is otherwise healthy. Why supplement with CLA when you could just eat tuna and use safflower oil or something of that nature. I would talk to your physician and consult a dietician first as I am only a lowly medical student with poor spelin' and gramer.
 
It's used fairly commonly in the bodybuilding world, the thing with it is that you need massive doses to see any results, usually on the order of >15 grams/day, making it too expensive to be worth it.

Most just use an EFA combo like Udo's or olive oil, flaxseed oil and get the same effect for 1/5 the price.

None of this crap works though if you aren't exercising and eating a reduced calorie diet.