diff btwn neurorad and interventional neurorad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool c

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys. Just wondering what's the diff btwn neuroradiology and interventional neuroradiology. I know neuroradiology is a 1 to 2 yr fellowship post rads and from what i know they can do angiograms and a lot of other stuff interventional neuroradiologists can do. Am I wrong? i know Interventional neuro is 1 or 2 yrs after 1 yr of neurorad. So if they have more training, are they performing diff more complicated procedures?? I am just not sure what the diff btwn the two is.

Also, is there a website that can provide me with a list of programs for these fellowships? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know neuroradiology is a 1 to 2 yr fellowship post rads and from what i know they can do angiograms and a lot of other stuff interventional neuroradiologists can do.

Most neuroradiologists do only diagnostic procedures (angio, myelograms). Few do interventional stuff like kypho or vertebroplasty. 95% of the neuroradiologists work is the interpretation of MRIs of the spine brain and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system (e.g. brachial plexus).

i know Interventional neuro is 1 or 2 yrs after 1 yr of neurorad. So if they have more training, are they performing diff more complicated procedures??

Intervenional neuroradiologists are trained to perform interventional procedures such as coiling of aneurysms, embolization of arteriovenous malformations as well as spinal procedures such as vertebroplasty.

Also, is there a website that can provide me with a list of programs for these fellowships? Thanks in advance.

It may be a bit early in your training to worry about this, but if you want to find information about interventional neuroradiology you may want to check out the website of the respective specialty society:

http://www.snisonline.org/guest/guest.php

Most neuroradiologists do only diagnostic procedures (angio, myelograms). Few do interventional stuff like kypho or vertebroplasty. 95% of the neuroradiologists work is the interpretation of MRIs of the spine brain and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system (e.g. brachial plexus).

Intervenional neuroradiologists are trained to perform interventional procedures such as coiling of aneurysms, embolization of arteriovenous malformations as well as spinal procedures such as vertebroplasty.

It may be a bit early in your training to worry about this, but if you want to find information about interventional neuroradiology you may want to check out the website of the respective specialty society:

http://www.snisonline.org/guest/guest.php

Great post f_w. To just add to what you said; Neurointerventional usually requires between 1 to 3 years beyond neuroradiology (which is one year to two years these days depending on the academic institution).