SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

diff btwn neurorad and interventional neurorad??

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by cool c, May 7, 2008.

1. cool c

cool c 2+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2007
    hey guys. Just wondering what's the diff btwn neuroradiology and interventional neuroradiology. I know neuroradiology is a 1 to 2 yr fellowship post rads and from what i know they can do angiograms and a lot of other stuff interventional neuroradiologists can do. Am I wrong? i know Interventional neuro is 1 or 2 yrs after 1 yr of neurorad. So if they have more training, are they performing diff more complicated procedures?? I am just not sure what the diff btwn the two is.

Also, is there a website that can provide me with a list of programs for these fellowships? Thanks in advance.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. f_w

f_w 1K Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Most neuroradiologists do only diagnostic procedures (angio, myelograms). Few do interventional stuff like kypho or vertebroplasty. 95% of the neuroradiologists work is the interpretation of MRIs of the spine brain and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system (e.g. brachial plexus).

Intervenional neuroradiologists are trained to perform interventional procedures such as coiling of aneurysms, embolization of arteriovenous malformations as well as spinal procedures such as vertebroplasty.

It may be a bit early in your training to worry about this, but if you want to find information about interventional neuroradiology you may want to check out the website of the respective specialty society:
  4. schan

schan CoFounder Partner Organization 2+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    SDN Partner
    Great post f_w. To just add to what you said; Neurointerventional usually requires between 1 to 3 years beyond neuroradiology (which is one year to two years these days depending on the academic institution).
  5. cool c

cool c 2+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2007
    thanks f_w