Difference between Alternate and Wait Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K8ster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the difference between alternate and waitlists, other than the fact that AL's are not ranked and WL's are? Which is better for an acceptance?

If anyone knows specifics about USC's AL and WL, please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would really appreciate an answer as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is such a thing as ranked alternate lists... I am on one of them.

I meant which list is better to be on not if both existed =)

I am on an "unranked" alternate list at USC, and a friend is on their waitlist (don't know if it's ranked). So I know USC has both. Which is better? Do alternates usually get pulled off before waitlisters? Any information about what exactly an alternate list is would be helpful. Thanks!

USC has an waitlist as well? If anybody else knows more about this, or has received a waitlist letter, pleast post! I thought they only had an "unranked alternate list". K8ster, do you know what your friend's waitlist letter said that was different than your alternate list letter?

I just spoke to Keck's admissions office and there is only one list, an unranked alternate list. They do not have a ranked waitlist so if you are not rejected or accepted at this time, you are in the alternate pool with everybody else.

DrET said:
I just spoke to Keck's admissions office and there is only one list, an unranked alternate list. They do not have a ranked waitlist so if you are not rejected or accepted at this time, you are in the alternate pool with everybody else.

Thanks...Totally my fault. I got some misinformation from 3 different people so I was extremely confused. Yep, only an alternate list. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for the info. Does anybody know the following??
Does anybody get rejected post-interview at USC?
How many people are on the alternate list and how many people are accepted off of it?

Thanks in advance!