Difference between American and British Optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevchenko277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! UK Optometrists can take postgraduate courses for the independent prescribing of medication and other procedures. Besides this, what do you see as the main differences between optometrists from both countries and which one's educational system is superior? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I studied in optometry in Scotland, relocated to USA 1.5 year ago. Got my degree evaluated as an equivalent to USA. Now I’m studying for boards. I noticed big emphasis on clinical stuff. Geo optics less material to learn.

I studied in optometry in Scotland, relocated to USA 1.5 year ago. Got my degree evaluated as an equivalent to USA. Now I’m studying for boards. I noticed big emphasis on clinical stuff. Geo optics less material to learn.

I know Scotland it's 4 years instead of 3 years then prereg everywhere else, but, don't you have to go to school for 2 years further in the USA via their international program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! Good luck on your boards!

Reactions: 1 user
I know Scotland it's 4 years instead of 3 years then prereg everywhere else, but, don't you have to go to school for 2 years further in the USA via their international program?
Thanks for the response!

Reactions: 1 user
I am now testing for NBEOs without any further 2 years of the international program.

I am now testing for NBEOs without any further 2 years of the international program.
That's cool FreddieAK! Would you say that you covered all the material in Scotland for the NBEO exams or is there some new stuff that you had to learn? Thanks!

That's really good! I'm a UK grad as well from a 4 year program and also a Canadian and considering practicing in the US...I was wondering which state you applied to?

That's really good! I'm a UK grad as well from a 4 year program and also a Canadian and considering practicing in the US...I was wondering which state you applied to?
I haven’t applied to any state to practice yet. I got sponsorship from California board of optometry to sit NBEOs. After passing the exams I will be applying for NV license. The only 4 year optometry UK program I know is in Scotland. It that what you graduated from? Thanks

What do u think of the recent changes to the iobp?

They r limiting spots so Canadians don't come back...when did uu graduate and did u rte the exam? Was it tough?

I haven’t applied to any state to practice yet. I got sponsorship from California board of optometry to sit NBEOs. After passing the exams I will be applying for NV license. The only 4 year optometry UK program I know is in Scotland. It that what you graduated from? Thanks

How exactly do get sponsorship?

I've contacted the California state board earlier this year and was told as of January 1st 2018, they've stopped sponsorship for foreign grads. I graduated from Aston from the 4 year masters program, I'm not sure how that compares to Scotland though.

What do u think of the recent changes to the iobp?

They r limiting spots so Canadians don't come back...when did uu graduate and did u rte the exam? Was it tough?

I graduated last year and have written the exam.

I graduated last year and have written the exam.
Can't pm you.....

Did you get a spot? Was it worth it ?

I know a guy who did the 4 yr program too but couldn't get a spot in the program and he's now working retail