Difference between Community College and University?

Started by exmissionary
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

E

exmissionary

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you think the biggest challenges a transfer student will have going from the community college to the university.
 
What do you think the biggest challenges a transfer student will have going from the community college to the university.

The biggest hurdle is being sure that the university/four-four year college accepts all of your community college credits so that you don't have to repeat any classes to obtain your degree in addition to the increased cost per credit hour. Four-year colleges/universities tend to be more expensive than community colleges.
 
I agree with the above poster. When I transferred to the 4 year University, there were a couple of classes that didn't transfer. Things worked out, but it took a lot of legwork getting those classes approved.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The biggest issue for me was the money. A lot more expensive going to a 4-year than a 2-year. I never had problems with my transfers, so I guess I'm pretty lucky!
 
I've been taking classes at two community colleges in California, and enjoy everyone of them. I did two Chem, 1 Physics, several Maths, several Biology/Anatomy/Physiology/Micro ... class size are small (<30,) so the instructor/professor know all of us by firstname, and they are very easily accessible. (I heard from some friends at UC-Berkeley, UC-Davis that some classes are over 300 students, and it's not that easy to get a hold of the professor sometimes. I did email some professors at Stanford, and almost never get reply. Emails to all my CC professors always got responses.)

All of the instructor/professors hold PhD in their fields, except some Maths instructors have Master degrees, and all labs are taught by same instructor, not TAs. So I think, I got very decent instructions from community colleges. On top of that fees was just from $11 to $20 per credits ... so my 5-credit Bio1A cost $100, plus $15 for lab material ... I don't need to even buy the textbook, since it is available in the college library, just have to read it there.

I was planning to transfer them to UC-Berkeley, and all of these classes are transferable to UC. I already talked Harvard Extension, and they will also accept them as transfer too, up to 64 semester credits.

So, I love California community colleges. Maybe somedays, I will come back and teach at them.