Difference between DO and MD rads residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any differences between a DO and an allopathic MD radiology residency? Are MD's trained better? Do they get more experience? Do MD's have better job oppurtunities or are DO and MD residencies close to equivalent?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience with osteopathic residency-trained radiologists. I think the vast majority of private practice jobs are with groups with people that did allopathic residencies. Most groups will look for ABR-boarded radiologists. I think anything other than that will severely limit your options at the end of training. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore there is no advantage of doing an osteopathic rads residency over allopathic. Maybe its less competitive, but again, what good is that if your job options are limited?

I know of several DOs in allo residencies or that have trained in allo residencies. If you decide to go to a DO med school, I'd still recommend an allopathic residency.
Good luck.

From what I saw on the interiew trail, DO radiology residencies are at community hospitals so its much more about getting the work done and I think there are less didactics. Most of the teaching was at the viewbox and everything else was resident driven. Some of the equipment at DO hospitals isn't as advanced as the stuff you'll find at academic university MD radiology residencies. From what I saw, at the DO programs you don't really have a set month on Chest, etc....you just kind of do it all each day. Some argue that's great to get you ready for private practice. Others argue that its better to learn as much as you can over a month and that repitition helps you retain it.....I guess its just perspective and choice that you want out of your residency training.

I think it would be easier to go into academic radiology if you were trained at an academic program, and most of those are MD residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vince said:
From what I saw on the interiew trail, DO radiology residencies are at community hospitals so its much more about getting the work done and I think there are less didactics. Most of the teaching was at the viewbox and everything else was resident driven. Some of the equipment at DO hospitals isn't as advanced as the stuff you'll find at academic university MD radiology residencies. From what I saw, at the DO programs you don't really have a set month on Chest, etc....you just kind of do it all each day. Some argue that's great to get you ready for private practice. Others argue that its better to learn as much as you can over a month and that repitition helps you retain it.....I guess its just perspective and choice that you want out of your residency training.

I think it would be easier to go into academic radiology if you were trained at an academic program, and most of those are MD residencies.

What specifically is a academic program? Is that like working at a university as a professor?

I m still an undergrad but I am really interested in radiology. If I were to do radiology i would like to open my own practice or working in a hospital setting.

How exactly does private practice work for radiology? Aren't most patients who are seen in a hospital seen by the radiologist working in the hospital at the time?

There can be some overlap I guess but there are basically two types of residencies, and this doesn't hold just for radiology, but all specialties...

Community Hospital and University Hospital based

Community Hospitals often have less didactic teaching, i.e. less conferences by attendings, less guest speakers, etc. University programs are more academic oriented in that there is more teaching by attending, where each sub-specialty radiologist teaches a certain day each week. There is usually more research at university programs.

I should say that sometimes community programs make up for the fact that they are not academic oriented...i.e. a community program might pay for its residents to attend multiple board review courses, and residents can also go to other conferences on specific topics of interest. There also might be a pretty generous stipend for books.

It's defnitely arguable, but there is probably more self-directed learning at community programs.

These are my opinions based on what I've seen on the interview trail and in talking with residents. I interviewed at 6 university programs and one community program so I'm sure other posters would be able to add more input to your answer...especially if they are residents already.

You have a long way to go before you start worrying about private practice radiology or an academic radiology position at a university. I don't fault anyone for expressing an early interest in their careers...but I suggest trying to shadow a radiologist in any environment to learn more about the specialty in general...then get into medical school and go from there.

Good luck.

hans19 said:
I have no experience with osteopathic residency-trained radiologists. I think the vast majority of private practice jobs are with groups with people that did allopathic residencies. Most groups will look for ABR-boarded radiologists. I think anything other than that will severely limit your options at the end of training. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore there is no advantage of doing an osteopathic rads residency over allopathic. Maybe its less competitive, but again, what good is that if your job options are limited?

I know of several DOs in allo residencies or that have trained in allo residencies. If you decide to go to a DO med school, I'd still recommend an allopathic residency.
Good luck.

I don't really think you're limited in your job opportunities. There are plenty of large group practices with a mixture of DO and MD radiologists. There are many DOs that have gone on to complete allopathic rad fellowships in neuro, VIR, MSK, even some that are interventional neuro trained as well...they are not nearly as common as their MD counterparts...but they do exist...just do a google search under osteopathic radiologist and you'll find plenty of webpages with MD/DO rad practices.