Difference between Henoch-Schonlein purpura and IgA nephropathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the difference btw the two. FA said HSP is a vasculitis secondary to IgA complex deposition and that it is associated with IgA nephropathy. Sounds like HSP is really just an IgA nephropathy, not just assoicated with it. If not, what IS IgA Nephropathy and how is it different?

Members don't see this ad.

I am over a year past taking step 1, but we had this come up in real life last week. Our patient had likely HSP....more systemic side effects like GI discomfort, a rash on the buttocks and hamstrings. I think that the differentiation is in the clinical presentation and the timing of the disease.

I am over a year past taking step 1, but we had this come up in real life last week. Our patient had likely HSP....more systemic side effects like GI discomfort, a rash on the buttocks and hamstrings. I think that the differentiation is in the clinical presentation and the timing of the disease.

cool. would you say HSP is IgA nephropathy PLUS some systemic symptoms such as GI/derm? Im trying to figure out if FA really meant to say "associated with" as opposed to something else

HSP is the one with extrarenal manifestations. I think the age range differs between the two diseases too.

I've never understood the difference btw the two. FA said HSP is a vasculitis secondary to IgA complex deposition and that it is associated with IgA nephropathy. Sounds like HSP is really just an IgA nephropathy, not just assoicated with it. If not, what IS IgA Nephropathy and how is it different?

I'm all for explaining but questions like these are for google, no?