Difference between pediatric and general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abmuk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

What is the difference between pediatric and general neurosugery besides the fact that the first is specific to children?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pedatrics includes a lot of intracranial cases and less spine, whereas adult (at least private practice) is mostly spine. There are a lot of shunt cases in peds, not as many in adult. Obviously, peds involves cases more particular to children, for example craniosynostosis, chiari malformations, and certain tumors. Pediatric NS are usually academic. There seems to be, however, a wide diversity of cases within both pediatrics and general NS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the previous posters mentioned, peds deals with a lot of intracranial pathology: tumors, hydrocephalus, epilepsy-resections as well as VNS. Myelomeningocele repair is also under the purview of peds. You'll see a fair number of potential child abuse cases--depressing to be sure.

The thing I took away from my AI is that peds is very diverse. One has to be comfortable with spine as well as intracranial. And of course there are cases you'll not soon see in adult, such as craniophagus twins. The other thing to consider is that children really bounce back from major brain surgery more readily than some of the adults.

At my institution at least, the pediatric neurosurgeons also take call on the adult side, so there is tremendous breadth. But because there are not as many pediatric neurosurgeons at any given institution as compared with adult surgeons, the peds folks are extremely busy.

Peds is a wide open field because not as many surgeons elect to do peds fellowships as spine or vascular. If your interested in neurodevelopment, interested in neurological zebras, want to do tumors, trauma, spine and epilepsy, peds is the way to go.

Thanks so much for this information!