difference between shadowing and volunteer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eksanwlrhkd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers!!

On the application, I am stuck in completing the "dentistry experience"section. I don't know the difference between shadowing and volunteering. At the office, sometimes I work as a receptionist and sometimes I help an assistant (during busy schedule..)to set up the instruments for the Root canal, crown, filling...etc.. and NON-PAID!!!( too sad..Haha)

Anyway...what I do is shadowing?? or volunteering??? or both???
I am confused.....

Good luck for all applicants!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

um! HI there!!!! Well, i think wat u do is more volunteer work. but thats just my opinion!!!!!!!! shadowing is where u follow the dentist and observe what he does. Hope this helpssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but doesnt volunteering imply its for a non profit org? (not sure), so wouldnt it be shadowing :X

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not exactly the type of "volunteering" ds have in mind.

Hello SDNers!!

On the application, I am stuck in completing the "dentistry experience"section. I don't know the difference between shadowing and volunteering. At the office, sometimes I work as a receptionist and sometimes I help an assistant (during busy schedule..)to set up the instruments for the Root canal, crown, filling...etc.. and NON-PAID!!!( too sad..Haha)

Anyway...what I do is shadowing?? or volunteering??? or both???
I am confused.....

Good luck for all applicants!!!!!!!!!!!

you can list it as both job shadowing and volunteering, i worked at a dental clinic this summer (unpaid) as an assistant and got to assist with implants extractions and other things (in NYS you dont need a certificate to work as a dental assitant) listed it as job shadowing and volunteer experience because i did much more than stand around and watch but it wasnt at a non profit organization, i even had to pay $6 a day to park there!

also zellyn, i go to a nursing home once a week to paint ceramics and play bingo with the old people there and listed it as volunteering (not in the dental section lol) even though a nursing home isnt a non profit org