Difference between tech and intern...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kim.

When it comes to working in a retail store, after you start pharmacy school does your title become "intern?" Are the responsibilities of an intern and a certified technician different? I'm guessing that the further you get in school the more responsibilities you have, right? Is the pay usually different for the two positions?

Members don't see this ad.

kim. said:
When it comes to working in a retail store, after you start pharmacy school does your title become "intern?" Are the responsibilities of an intern and a certified technician different? I'm guessing that the further you get in school the more responsibilities you have, right? Is the pay usually different for the two positions?

It probably varies state by state. You do not necessiarly become an intern b/c interns get paid more and most stores have a set amount of interns they can have. I have some friends (on wednesday we well be 3rd years :D )who are still techs at the stores they work at.

Legally, here the further you go in school doesn't mean the more responsibilities. If you are an intern you can do anything a pharmacist can do (take rxs off the phone, do doctor calls, counsel patients, etc) under a pharmacist.

The further you go in school means the more money you will make as an intern.

*everytime you read intern think "intern/extern"*

I think that here in TN, certified techs are allowed to take phoned prescriptions, do doctor calls and things like that. The one thing I know they are not allowed to do is counsel patients.

I'll check with my work to find out the details of how things will change there.

Members don't see this ad :)
kim. said:
I think that here in TN, certified techs are allowed to take phoned prescriptions, do doctor calls and things like that. The one thing I know they are not allowed to do is counsel patients.

I'll check with my work to find out the details of how things will change there.
From my experience, it's very rare to have techs dictate/take phoned-in scripts. There is essentially no way to "check" the script (look alike/sound alike, XR, XL, etc), and the pharmacist's license would be on the line.

Yes, when it comes to counseling patients i think only liscensed pharmacists are allowed to do that. I dont think techs or interns even if they are almost finishing pharm schools are allowed. But then again i might be wrong.

Superflyjsc said:
Yes, when it comes to counseling patients i think only liscensed pharmacists are allowed to do that. I dont think techs or interns even if they are almost finishing pharm schools are allowed. But then again i might be wrong.

I've been allowed to do some basic patient counseling, helping with OTC recommendations and taking phone calls from patients with questions. The only thing I can't do as an intern is take doctor calls. In FL, only a pharmacist can do that.

Superflyjsc said:

in VA and AL interns can counsel...
as well as take Dr calls.

bbmuffin said:
in VA and AL interns can counsel...
as well as take Dr calls.
In AZ as well.