• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

BadVB750

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
America
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am still a first year, but I am planning on taking both the COMLEX & USMLE. I would like to know what the main difference between the two are, besides the obvious being OPP. Secondly, what is the best way to maximize studying for each.

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Ohio or Texas
home.earthlink.net
Status (Visible)
Comlex is more clinically oriented. It tends to have less random factoid questions and more clinical vignettes.

Currently USMLE has more pictures, more histology, and more pathology but Comlex is going to a computer test next year so that will probably change.

Finally Comlex intigrates a lot of its OMM into the anatomy questions so many of the anatomy questions are of a little higher order.

Currently COMLEX is two days, 800 questions.

USMLE is one day, 420 questions by computer.

Next year Comlex will be changed to one day, computer as well. Not sure on the number of question but it will be somewhere between 400 and 600.

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
Timbers of Fennario
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
USMLE Step 1 is 350 questions.

According to our OMM chair, COMLEX Step 1 2004 is going to have 700 questions.

About the Ads

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Ohio or Texas
home.earthlink.net
Status (Visible)
Ah, you know you are right. I believe it is 7 sections of 50, I had 7 sections of 60.

Next years test will be one day so I imagine it will fall to about 400 questions.

I was told this years will be 760-800 questions. 4 units, 2 each day with each have 190-200 questions.

giznut12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2002
Status (Visible)
If I plan on taking both comlex and usmle, does this mean i have to take all 3 steps of both exams? or can i just take both exams for part 1?

drchris33

MSIV
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2002
Grand Blanc, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
That is a good question. No, you dont have to take all three for both. In my opinion, the most you would have to take is Step 2 for both, but I may be wrong.

It really depends on what you want to go into, to determine if you really need both tests. Different people will give you different answers on this topic, which I am sure there is a thread somewhere on here.

I myself am going into primary care in the midwest, so I am only doing COMLEX.

Hope that helps

Chris

drchris33

MSIV
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2002
Grand Blanc, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am wanting to do a Family Practice residency but I want to work in the ER for awhile. I have a scholarship through the state of Kansas so I have to go back and practice there for four years. ER is considered primarly care so that is what I am going to do for awhile.

There are some good level II centers I could get a job at I am sure

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by giznut12
If I plan on taking both comlex and usmle, does this mean i have to take all 3 steps of both exams? or can i just take both exams for part 1?

Step I-II for COMLEX, then you take step III if you aren't going to complete the USMLE series. Step III= license to practice.

Step I USMLE for interviews (if anything other than fp or rural IM). Then you may go on to do Step II if you think you may be persuing an IM competitive fellowship or did really poopy on your Step I. As I understand it, if you have taken USMLE I&II then you can take Step III and forget about finishing the Comlex series. Either one will allow the DO to practice medicine....please correct me if I'm wrong.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.