Difference in Masters'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrkyBgStok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in pediatrics residency and planning on applying to fellowship this fall and have been considering a masters degree during fellowship and I am having a hard time figuring out the differences in degrees. I am fairly interested in the MHA, MBA, MMM, and MME

MHA/MBA: seems like this would be a fairly obvious choice however I have heard that an MHA is more tailored to people not in healthcare already and the MBA would be better for physicians to get business experience.

MMM: masters in medical management. this seems to touted as "the MBA for physicians" but what situation would this be more valuable than an MBA?

MME: masters in medical education. this one seems pretty self explanatory and appears to be a different trajectory but not exactly sure what that trajectory is.

basically I am looking to get information on the differences between the degrees from a practical and career standpoint. basically looking for "MHA is typical for non-physicians, MBA is physicians moving into administration, and MMM for physicians looking to leader but not admin." something like that.

Thanks for all the information.

Members don't see this ad.

If you choose an MBA make sure you are getting what you want. Find out what a particular school emphasizes; some schools are much better at preparing you to start and run a business (IT, leasing, employee compensation), others are geared toward corporate operations (10K's, profit/loss, markets). My wife and I studied very different things.

What are your career goals?

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, I would like to attend PICU fellowship and eventually transition from 100% clinical to half admin and then see where it takes me. But administration in a community hospital with a small to medium sized residency. But I also am open to other things so I would like training to be versatile. If an opportunity presents to move to administration in a related business, I would be interested. I would say eventually director and then moving to more executive type positions when clinical med desires have decreased. I have also considered the med school/dean type career.

but I have had many careers and am an older resident and I have never had a 5 year plan pan out like I thought it would, so I want to have room for changes.

As of right now, I would like to attend PICU fellowship and eventually transition from 100% clinical to half admin and then see where it takes me. But administration in a community hospital with a small to medium sized residency. But I also am open to other things so I would like training to be versatile. If an opportunity presents to move to administration in a related business, I would be interested. I would say eventually director and then moving to more executive type positions when clinical med desires have decreased. I have also considered the med school/dean type career.

but I have had many careers and am an older resident and I have never had a 5 year plan pan out like I thought it would, so I want to have room for changes.

Sounds like you shouldn't do another degree just yet, I don't see the benefit.

You don't need any of those degrees to be an administrator in a community hospital. If you're serious about moving out of medicine altogether, the MBA is the most versatile, but not absolutely necessary.