Differences between COMLEX level 2 and USMLE step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkmph

https://www.sportsmedreview.com
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious inclusion of OMM/OPP questions on COMLEX, are there any other major differences in content between the two exams?

For example, I didnt' take USMLE step 1 but it contains a lot of biochemistry that is not seen on the COMLEX. Are there any such glaring disparities on the level/step 2 exams?

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't taken Level 2 yet but I did take Step 2 a week ago. It seems to me like the questions are more vague on Combank than Uworld. Also there seem to be more drug mechanisms on Combank than I noticed on Step 2 (I had like zero pharm on my Step 2)?

So I dunno, I can post after I take my Level 2 though.

I took both 3 weeks ago now. The main difference is the USMLE question stems are KILLER in comparison. As in it took a lot more brain power to sort through the stem and pull out the info....especially when you were hours deep in the exam. I feel like a lot of the time I would read a question and by the time i finished the paragraph I was like "wait what." The USMLE ck was undoubtedly more difficult than COMLEX 2.

COMLEX question stems were a lot simpler, had a lot of information you could essentially skip over, and had some keywords, vs virtually none on USMLE.

USMLE=rash on the lower extremities
COMLEX=palpable purpura.

COMLEX DID however have straight up out of left field questions that were 100% bull$hit. I had MULTIPLE questions like this:

A patient in your office needs a ride to another physicians office. Who should set up the ride?
A. The nursing supervisor
B. The patients nurse
C. The receptionist
D. The social worker
E. Somatic dysfunction

Like wow, 4 of those are pretty plausible.

I think the ethics questions on comlex were actually harder than USMLE. The USMLE questions were straight up UW style, easy as hell. The COMLEX (in typical fashion) had multiple plausible answers.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I haven't taken Level 2 yet but I did take Step 2 a week ago. It seems to me like the questions are more vague on Combank than Uworld. Also there seem to be more drug mechanisms on Combank than I noticed on Step 2 (I had like zero pharm on my Step 2)?

So I dunno, I can post after I take my Level 2 though.

Had zero drug MOA questions on COMLEX. Not even one. My biggest advice to you is KNOW OMM. Know those 2 savarese charts with the sym/parasym innervations. HUGE help. I took 5 minutes before starting the exam to write all these levels on my markerboard for easy reference. The OMM I had was pretty easy and straightforward compared to step 1.

Had zero drug MOA questions on COMLEX. Not even one.

Well that's good news because they certainly are annoying on Combank.

And thank you for your post, I will be taking COMLEX in 2 weeks and any insight on the exam is useful.

Well that's good news because they certainly are annoying on Combank.

And thank you for your post, I will be taking COMLEX in 2 weeks and any insight on the exam is useful.

No problem! FYI I studied OMM for a total of an hour outside what it took me to memorize those charts. Obviously what you do is up to you, but I BLOW at OMM, dont believe in it at ALL, and I am positive I did well on the OMM questions.

Also contrary to popular opinion, my exam wasnt particularly heavy on ObGyn.....and the ob questions I had were fairly straight forward. "A pregnant cocaine addict suddenly experiences sharp pelvic pain, and vaginal bleeding....."

Good luck! I finished the exam 3.5 hours early.