Differences in Course Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6zebo6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering, are there any major differences in the course requirements for an MD only versus an MD/PHD?

For example, I was going to take calculus II next semester, but realized it is not a medical school requirement, and I could take stats to fulfill my college requirements instead. Is this a wise decision? Or should I be taking both classes, even if they do not help me towards my degree?

Basically, should I heed the general advice of the pre-med forum when deciding classes, or are there special factors I should consider?

Thanks!

6zebo6

Members don't see this ad.

There's no major differences in course requirements - it's still an MD degree. Though some courses may be more helpful for the PhD portion. Also research technique classes could be quite useful.

You should try to fulfill the med school requirements and the requirements of the PhD program you're interested in. The nice thing is that most of your common PhD program requirements are fulfilled by the pre-med requirements anyway.

BTW, stats will probably be far more useful to you in the future than calculus, unless you go into something math heavy.