Different prereqs for different pharmacy schools

Started by Jennifer1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jennifer1

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in three pharmacy schools which have some different prereqs. I'm really ton on what to take. For example only one school requires Anatomy & Physiology. There are also a couple different classes for some that aren't required for other schools: government, speech, philosophy..etc.

I want to apply to all three schools at the same time, but it would take a semester or two longer to get ALL of the prereqs done for all three schools. I'm thinking of just doing the prereqs for one of the schools & hoping I get in. Did any of you guys face the same scenario?
 
I faced this with USC. I just ended up not applying to them since I would have to take Calculus for Engineers and Microeconomics. I already have Calc for Life Sciences and Macro.

In your case I would take A&P and Comm. There are a lot of pharmacy schools that require A&P. It will allow you to apply to more schools later down the line if you change your mind.
 
Last edited:
Does everyone tend to take their top schools pre reqs? I ask because my top choice seems to require courses that most do not...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, taking several classes to cover several different schools is the norm. I know I had to do that. There is no guarantee that I will be accepted to my top choice, so I had to cover my bases and take additional classes to meet the pre-reqs at other schools.
 
I started taking pre-pharm classes since Spring 2009 and I am still not done because of the same reason. It's so surprising how each school has its own specific pre-pharm requirements.
The best approach is to take those courses commonly shared by the different schools and then do the specific electives or other science classes.
In my case, I moved to a new state and had to adapt to a little bit different pre-pharm requirements.
Sometime it gies so frustrating trying to meet different schools requirements but i guess it's part of the game.