Different Re-Application Programs: Which one is good??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labelfree

UCLA Class of 2013!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to UCLA, UCSD, UCI and UCSF Post Bac (reapplicant) programs. And do you guys know which one would better prepare you for med school? Have any experience with any of the programs?

I've been interviewed with UCLA. And I will go on interviews at UCSF and UCSD. I just wanted to know if any you guys have gone through with any of the programs, any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the UCSF post bac program and thought it helped me with all of the parts of my application that needed a boost for re-applying. I interviewed for the UCD,UCSD, and UCSF programs and felt that UCSF offered the best program for my needs. Also the fact that they have the best track record of all of the UC post bacs did not hurt. The UCSF program really knows what it is doing and even though sometimes I had the urge to go against their advice, in the end they knew what was best. Also the assistance you get with putting your app together is amazing!!! The first time I applied I did not get any interviews. This time 6 interviews, 1 acceptance so far, and 5 waitlists.This is not nearly as well as some of the other people have done. Some of my fellow post bac students had 10+ interviews. Obviously I am a little biased toward UCSF, but I think you will have a good chance of getting in if you do any of the UC post bacs. Hope this helps.

I can't tell you anything about post-bacc programs, but there's an entire forum dedicated to this subject elsewhere on SDN. Check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
labelfree said:
I'm applying to UCLA, UCSD, UCI and UCSF Post Bac (reapplicant) programs. And do you guys know which one would better prepare you for med school? Have any experience with any of the programs?

I've been interviewed with UCLA. And I will go on interviews at UCSF and UCSD. I just wanted to know if any you guys have gone through with any of the programs, any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!!

I was UCLA-RAP (from 2004-2005) and I loved it! I had a much better application cycle this time around (3 acceptances, including UCLA). When I was deciding on a post-bac I had to chose between UCLA, UCI, and UCSF. What I liked about the UCLA program was that it was very flexible and tailored toward the needs of each individual applicant. For example, I wanted to improve my science GPA and get more clinical experience. The advisor from the UCLA program has been helping re-applicants for years, so she really knows her stuff. She'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to improve your overall app. The UCI program seemed great, but it was too much of a formal program for me (i.e. all the participants seemed to go through the same track of classes and retaking the MCAT). Through UCLA I was able to take classes at night through UCLA Extension and work part-time during the day. This worked out a lot better for me. Also the advising you get is great and the summer component that is in conjunction with PREP helped me to really prepare for the upcoming year of improving my app. If you have any other questions, PM me.

For those who did get into the reapplicant program at UCSF, UCD, and UCLA what was your science gpa and mcat score going into the program and what were they at the end of the program.

accepted said:
I did the UCSF post bac program and thought it helped me with all of the parts of my application that needed a boost for re-applying. I interviewed for the UCD,UCSD, and UCSF programs and felt that UCSF offered the best program for my needs. Also the fact that they have the best track record of all of the UC post bacs did not hurt. The UCSF program really knows what it is doing and even though sometimes I had the urge to go against their advice, in the end they knew what was best. Also the assistance you get with putting your app together is amazing!!! The first time I applied I did not get any interviews. This time 6 interviews, 1 acceptance so far, and 5 waitlists.This is not nearly as well as some of the other people have done. Some of my fellow post bac students had 10+ interviews. Obviously I am a little biased toward UCSF, but I think you will have a good chance of getting in if you do any of the UC post bacs. Hope this helps.

just a quick question: what gpa did you need to get into these programs? and congrats btw :)

Rebecatfl said:
just a quick question: what gpa did you need to get into these programs? and congrats btw :)

Please reply to this! It would be very helpful for all of us trying to get into postbaccs right now!