Different schedules of drugs on same script

Started by tompharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tompharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a question. I learned in pharmacy school that different schedules of scripts for controls had to be written on separate blanks. When I came across this in practice I found a CIII and CV on the same blank I called my other pharmacist and he said it was ok. I also called another pharmacist and he also said it was ok. I cannot find the law in florida where it states that it has to be on a separate blank (although it may be a DEA law). Can someone tell me if this is correct. And can controls be written on a blank with non controls.
 
It's definitely not a federal issue. Without having seen every state's law I have seen a variety of versions of this law. First, states may require that schedules are separated (and from non-scheduled). Others may say scheduled must be on a different blank than non-scheduled. Still others would say that only CII's must be separate.

The most common misconception is that some pharmacy schools seem to teach that CII's must be on a different blank than others because they have to be filed separately. However, it is an acceptable practice to file the original with the CII's, and a copy in the other file (from a federal standpoint, at least per our local DEA agent).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In Florida C3-5 can be on the same hard copy. No controls with non-controls. And C2s by themselves and they each need their own rx.
 
If they do write a control on the same hardcopy as a non-control just call and confirm and write up as phone order.