Different schedules of drugs on same script

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a question. I learned in pharmacy school that different schedules of scripts for controls had to be written on separate blanks. When I came across this in practice I found a CIII and CV on the same blank I called my other pharmacist and he said it was ok. I also called another pharmacist and he also said it was ok. I cannot find the law in florida where it states that it has to be on a separate blank (although it may be a DEA law). Can someone tell me if this is correct. And can controls be written on a blank with non controls.

Members don't see this ad.

It's legal in NJ, so no federal issue.

It's definitely not a federal issue. Without having seen every state's law I have seen a variety of versions of this law. First, states may require that schedules are separated (and from non-scheduled). Others may say scheduled must be on a different blank than non-scheduled. Still others would say that only CII's must be separate.

The most common misconception is that some pharmacy schools seem to teach that CII's must be on a different blank than others because they have to be filed separately. However, it is an acceptable practice to file the original with the CII's, and a copy in the other file (from a federal standpoint, at least per our local DEA agent).

Members don't see this ad :)
In Florida C3-5 can be on the same hard copy. No controls with non-controls. And C2s by themselves and they each need their own rx.

If they do write a control on the same hardcopy as a non-control just call and confirm and write up as phone order.