Differentiating Masters Degree Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjl12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between a masters program in Clinical Psychology versus Counseling Psychology (I also see there are specialties within Counseling, i.e. Family/Addiction/etc.)

Do the differences among these degrees have any implication on potential/possible career avenues/salary?

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is the difference between a masters program in Clinical Psychology versus Counseling Psychology (I also see there are specialties within Counseling, i.e. Family/Addiction/etc.)

Do the differences among these degrees have any implication on potential/possible career avenues/salary?

Most counseling psychology master's programs are meant to be terminal degrees that lead to LPC/LMHC licensure (although, of course, you can go onto a Ph.D. in counseling psychology). Clinical psychology programs are intended more as a stepping stone to Ph.D. programs. In some states, you can get a master's-level psychology license and/or become licensed as a counselor or marriage and family therapist with an M.A. in clinical psychology, but it usually isn't intended to be a first professional degree.

Where are you located? Salary differences are strongly regional.

(Also, let me put in my standard disclaimer urging you to also look at M.S.W. programs if the field of clinical social work is of interest to you at all. The therapist job outlook is generally better in most states for LCSWs.)

I agree with Qwerk's reply about either degree leading to employability as a counselor/therapist and or psychological assistant (depending on state and curriculum). I'll add that I attended a clinical psychology program for my masters and from what I can tell you'll get more training in testing and assessment in those programs, in addition to psychotherapy, diagnosis, etc--this is the main difference. I found it valuable because I really like testing and it gives me more job opportunities. Cl. psych may also have more opportunities for research, although this basically varies by program and is not excluded in counseling psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you located? Salary differences are strongly regional.

(Also, let me put in my standard disclaimer urging you to also look at M.S.W. programs if the field of clinical social work is of interest to you at all. The therapist job outlook is generally better in most states for LCSWs.)

That is strange that an LCSW would fare better than a therapist in conducting the work of therapy. Although I realize both are just tags on a piece of paper and not representative of the education behind the degree, as there is assuredly overlap between the two.

I'm in Pennsylvania and have been all my life. I'm not afraid to travel should a great employment opportunity arise, but I'm still a few years out from that point anyhow.

I'm absolutely interested in SW as SW is (at least in the eyes of an undergrad.) generally/basically the same job as "therapy."

That is strange that an LCSW would fare better than a therapist in conducting the work of therapy. Although I realize both are just tags on a piece of paper and not representative of the education behind the degree, as there is assuredly overlap between the two.

I'm in Pennsylvania and have been all my life. I'm not afraid to travel should a great employment opportunity arise, but I'm still a few years out from that point anyhow.

I'm absolutely interested in SW as SW is (at least in the eyes of an undergrad.) generally/basically the same job as "therapy."

Qwerk didn't say that LCSW's make better therapists (I'm not going there), but rather that the job outlook is better. I received high level clinically focused training in my MHC program, but at least in the state that Qwerk and I live (and likely many others, the job opportunities are much better for social workers for a host of reasons (it's a new profession, billing issues, powerful social work lobby, etc.) In a some of other states, mental health counselors, or LPCs, or whatever they are called in their jurisdiction do a bit better. Do your homework and see what the situation is like in your state.

A clinical social worker can be a therapist (I think something like 60% of mental health professionals are social workers), but there are other job opportunities open to master's-level social workers that include things like intensive case management and intake/assessment. UPenn has a well-regarded M.S.W. program, but I'm not sure how strong the clinical component is.

Re: counseling, Pennsylvania has some of the same insurance and scope of practice issues that New York does. I don't know how this affects the job outlook, so definitely talk to some counseling grads in your state. The Pennsylvania Mental Health Counselors Association has info: http://pamhca.org

A clinical social worker can be a therapist (I think something like 60% of mental health professionals are social workers), but there are other job opportunities open to master's-level social workers that include things like intensive case management and intake/assessment. UPenn has a well-regarded M.S.W. program, but I'm not sure how strong the clinical component is.

Re: counseling, Pennsylvania has some of the same insurance and scope of practice issues that New York does. I don't know how this affects the job outlook, so definitely talk to some counseling grads in your state. The Pennsylvania Mental Health Counselors Association has info: http://pamhca.org

I think it's generally safe to say that therapy has far more to do with the individual than the program that they come from. The biggest differences are the tools that they use and how they conceptualize problems.

Straight counselors tend to come at therapy from a strengths perspective with somewhat of a preventative mental healthcare, that is preventing more major problems from coming up later while providing counseling services to help the consumer through a current problem.

Social Workers often take a more ecological approach and Qwerk or one of the other Social Workers/Social Work students can correct me if I'm wrong. They tend to find areas where systems are out of wack with the individual and guide the client to ways to correct this. They also tend to take on a lot more case management and linking of service work with their clients.

Rehabilitation counselors tend to have an interesting mix of the two above as they have historically worked with populations that are disparaged. Like SW, they are often also case managers. They tend to prefer a somewhat more libertarian approach than Social Workers when it comes to Autonomy vs. Protection of Life. Rehab counselors also have historically had a tendency to work with more clinical populations than "counselors."

Sorry to leave out MFT's in my oversimplified extrabrief description, but my knowledge of MFT as a profession is extremely limited.

I would say that any of them can certainly be equals in a therapy session, especially when you consider the fact that the therapist in the end matters far less than the client. Personally, I draw from all of the above plus some psychology/medical models.

But back to the main topic of schools in Penn. I'm particularly fond of what I've heard about Temple. John Singer has produced a great podcast from there. Another good one is from The Buffalo School of Social Work. I would suggest checking those out if you want to hear about mental health from a social work perspective.

Straight counselors tend to come at therapy from a strengths perspective with somewhat of a preventative mental healthcare, that is preventing more major problems from coming up later while providing counseling services to help the consumer through a current problem.

Given our discussion on that other thread, I started reading the above and thought, "Hmm. How are gay counselors different than this?" :laugh:

Given our discussion on that other thread, I started reading the above and thought, "Hmm. How are gay counselors different than this?" :laugh:

My wife had to question me about why I was laughing so hard.

I'll look into Temple's grad program. I'd have to imagine the clinical aspect being saturated with incredible opportunities/experiences given the surrounding areas and their corresponding "problems."

Does anyone have any advice on who to consult as far as which program to pursue? SW/Psych, etc. I don't personally know any grad students. I've spoken to counselors at PSU before but sometimes I get the "they're all good choices" talk.

I'll look into Temple's grad program. I'd have to imagine the clinical aspect being saturated with incredible opportunities/experiences given the surrounding areas and their corresponding "problems."

Does anyone have any advice on who to consult as far as which program to pursue? SW/Psych, etc. I don't personally know any grad students. I've spoken to counselors at PSU before but sometimes I get the "they're all good choices" talk.

I would just hop on Psych Today and get in touch with a few clinicians who offer therapeutic services from different backgrounds and see what they have to say. You can search by area. I would suggest looking in the area that you plan on practicing. It may seem a little weird to cold call like that, but therapists tend to be people who are willing to talk about themselves and their field if you give them the chance.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=PT_Psych_Today&utm_medium=House_Link&utm_campaign=PT_TopNav_Find_Therapist