Difficult Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futureopt17

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year I was asked "what can an Optometrist do that an Ophthalmologist cant?" I froze when I was asked this question till my interviewer moved on to another question because he noticed that I could not answer this question.

I do not want to make this mistake again so can someone please answer this if they have the answer to it.

Thanks!
 
Legally? Nothing, as far as I know. There could be a long discussion about differences in what Ophthalmologists/Optometrists do or do not do well. That will have a lot to do with the fact that people tend to be good at what they do on a regular basis, so the same conversation could be had when talking about some Optometrists vs. other Optometrists. I once met an Optometrist who couldn't perform retinoscopy because he hadn't done it for years. I do it every day and feel pretty good about it. There are some things Ophthalmologists simply don't typically do, however. Vision therapy and specialty contact lenses come to mind.