Difficult nurses/NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulscribe2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does it directly affect your ability to do your job as an intern? If not, keep your mouth shut and your fuse long.

Reactions: 1 users
I have to agree. As frustrating as these things might be, unless it's affecting your ability to do your job or patient safety, it's best to just live with it. Most intern rotations are only a month or two, and it's not worth picking that fight.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

We have a nurse "manager" who is controlling and says that the residents shouldn't sit with the nurses during morning report... and another NP who doesn't write nurses and shows up to work when she wants even though she is part-time.... How do we manage this as an intern
Why are nurses at morning report?
I don’t remember anyone other than residents and attendings at morning report.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yeah leave that alone! I’m sure everyone knows that person is an issue but it’s not your problem to fix. Even your attendings don’t have hire/fire power over staff.

Just let it slide and focus on your own work. You’ll either be off the rotation or an upper level before you know it. People like this are small potatoes and not even worth the effort.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hi there,

We have a nurse "manager" who is controlling and says that the residents shouldn't sit with the nurses during morning report... and another NP who doesn't write nurses and shows up to work when she wants even though she is part-time.... How do we manage this as an intern

You don’t manage this. There is zero upside to you getting into the fray here. You have zero power in this situation.

Reactions: 3 users
lol im confused, we get the overnight events from them
This sounds like a horrible system. You get overnight events from the overnight team. If it didn't rise to the level of needing to call crosscover, it's just nursing BS and is probably irrelevant. But you're stuck with the system you're in I guess.

Reactions: 11 users
This sounds like a horrible system. You get overnight events from the overnight team. If it didn't rise to the level of needing to call crosscover, it's just nursing BS and is probably irrelevant. But you're stuck with the system you're in I guess.
Nurses have infiltrated in all parts of medicine. Even in residency people have to get overnight events from nurses. Amazing!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users