Difficult Ranking Question-please advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvpassingas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I interviewed this season for anesthesia and categorical internal medicine as back-up.

I was offered a pre-match at a program for medicine, and decided to take it. They asked me to withdraw from the NRMP match, which I haven't done yet. The contract is for one year, and then renewed come the following year pending satisfactory evals, yada yada, and of course, if I agree to sign for the subsequest year.

Now my question:

I interviewed at my number 1 anesthesia program, which offers advanced positions. This is the only program that always makes me wonder if I could have matched, or if they ranked me. Could I possibly just rank them for an advanced position as my number 1 rank. I wouldn't rank any program, but that advanced anesthesia position. No prelims or nothing, because I technically have a first year position (even though it is categorical).

If I matched in the advanced position, I would start in 2011 and it wouldn't really break the original contract, right? I mean people change fields after a year from medicine to anesthesia and vice versa if they get a spot.

Is this risky? Is this unethical? Or would you say I have nothing to lose? Do I run the risk of losing the guaranteed medicine spot?

I tried to search all the forums, but I think this is a unique question and I'm hoping someone who has been or knows someone who has been in a similar situation can just give me some insight.

Thanks and best of luck to all!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.