Difficult to Get Licensed in a New Region?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this comes across as a really naive question, but I'm just a pre-dent, and this is factoring into my decision as I try to choose a school.

I know that licensing is broken up into regions in the U.S. If I go to school in the Southeast (say... UNC), and decide to move back up to the Northeast to practice after I graduate, how difficult is the process to obtain licensure in a different region than where I went to school?

One of the dentists I spoke to said that gaining licensure is more involved than just sitting down and taking a written exam since there is a clinical portion (which is what makes it difficult). In your minds, is it a big enough issue to rule out a particular school?

I'm guessing that many of you will just tell me to call the ADA (which I'll do if I don't get any useful responses). Either way, I appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad.

To the best of my knowledge, if you take the ADEX (related to the NERB), it is accepted in 45 states.

To the best of my knowledge, if you take the ADEX (related to the NERB), it is accepted in 45 states.

Thanks for the info... just checked the NERB website, and unfortunately, North Carolina is one of those 8 or so states that don't accept the ADEX... damn.

Would it be a huge headache to take the CITA (for NC) and then have to take the NERB/ADEX?

If you're keen on NC and then someday maybe other states, taking both CITA and NERB now maybe worth it and that way cover all your bases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info... just checked the NERB website, and unfortunately, North Carolina is one of those 8 or so states that don't accept the ADEX... damn.

Would it be a huge headache to take the CITA (for NC) and then have to take the NERB/ADEX?

Its a headache but a headache worth having while in dental school so that you dont have to deal with it in the later stages of your life.

Its a headache but a headache worth having while in dental school so that you dont have to deal with it in the later stages of your life.

Thanks!

If I went to school in NC, would I still be able to take the NERB/ADEX? According to their website, the test is only administered at schools in the NE (I think the furthest south is Maryland)...