Difficulty finding surgery research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblah56

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3 currently rotating at a community hospital. I would love to work on a project to get published in a surgical journal and I've tried asking attendings and residents about research opportunities however every attempt has been unsuccessful. Is there any way that I can do research on my own, perhaps a review/analysis of a collection of published studies? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm an MS3 currently rotating at a community hospital. I would love to work on a project to get published in a surgical journal and I've tried asking attendings and residents about research opportunities however every attempt has been unsuccessful. Is there any way that I can do research on my own, perhaps a review/analysis of a collection of published studies? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Most community surgeons are not actively involved enough in research to be able to offer you work.

You can do a chart review, case study or a meta analysis but you'll have to ask yourself (and tell us) what your goals are. You likely have limited time and starting something from scratch and getting it published is a large undertaking.

I'm planning on applying for a GS residency, and have a particular interest in MIS. I guess at this point, based on my limited resources, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for a project that can help me get published in a surgical journal.