1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty of Bootcamp's RC vs Real DAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by kkristenyyyyy, Aug 7, 2015.

1. kkristenyyyyy

2+ Year Member

Hi!

I've noticed the Bootcamp's RC is pretty intense. The answer choices are often very similar and hard to tell them apart. I was wondering how does Bootcamp's RC difficulty compared to the actual DAT? Pleaseeee let it be easier D:

Thank you :)

2. neoking77

10+ Year Member

When I wrote my Canadian DAT it was a lot easier than the bootcamp questions. (got around 21~22 for bootcamp, got 24 on the real deal). I think I've read a few people that have said bootcamp was a lot harder as well in terms of the type of questions. But to be truthful, it can probably swing both ways and it just comes down to what passage you get on the exam. I wouldn't freak out, but I'd also try to squeeze in more practice if you have the time.

3. MrSnuggles

5+ Year Member

I also found Bootcamp's RC to be harder than the real DAT. My DAT did not have quite so many tone, inference type questions, or those statement 1 false/true statement 2 things. Much more about finding specific paragraphs with the answer word for word. Still, it's good prepwork as if you do decent on BC you will do well on real DAT.

4. enamel88

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First Bootcamp RC attempt: 17. sigh

5. BeyonceFan1226

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took my DAT yesterday and I got a 22 in reading. The highest I ever got on Bootcamp was a 20 and the first test was a 17 as well and the second was an 18. I also ran out of time whenever I practiced with Bootcamp. Bootcamp DEFINITELY helped as far as my time but it is harder in my opinion. Don't stress!

enamel88 and OGNn like this.
  6. enamel88

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    That's great to hear. Was your test pretty much Search and destroy? What method did use?

7. clutchfans

2+ Year Member

Yeah, I would always struggle with BCs CR section getting 18/19s. Got a 26 on the real test.

8. BeyonceFan1226

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    @enamel88 I would skim and read the first 4-5 paragraphs in order to get an idea what the passage was about and than I would use search and destroy. My first passage was relatively easy and was on Hurricanes. The second one was difficult but it was primarily because the subject was on particles and physics (not my cup of tea) and the last one was not bad at all- it was on H. pylori.

smileygirl711 likes this.
  9. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How did the rest of the sections compare?

10. BeyonceFan1226

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    @510586 They weren't bad compared to Destroyer and Bootcamp.

Bio: Utilize Ferralis and DAT Destroyer. Quizlet is a really good tool as well. I just finished a grad program where I took a year of intense bio but the first time I took the DAT I only used DAT Qvault, Bootcamp, and AP Cliffs for Bio and pulled a 20. This time I got a 21. Slightly easier than Bootcamp. The highest I ever got on Bootcamp was a 19.

Gen Chem: Chad's, Destroyer, Bootcamp, and Qvault (in that order). Not as many calculations on real exam or at least my version. I got a 18 on this section because I had 5 questions with balancing redox reactions and I stupidly neglected to really understand this concept. I was averaging 19s on Bootcamp before my exam.

Orgo: Chads (made flashcards with reactions), Destroyer (three times and added concepts missed the first two times to my study sheet with Chad's info), Bootcamp, and Qvault. I had a question on there about Tollens reagent and would have gotten it wrong if it wasn't for Destroyer. The first time I took the DAT I got a 17 but I had only went through Destroyer once. I was averaging 19s/20s on Bootcamp. I got a 25 this time around.

PAT: Easier than Bootcamp (except for angles). The highest I ever got on Bootcamp was a 18 and I got a 19 on the test. I actually ran out of time for Pattern folding and guessed the last five questions.

Reading: MUCH easier than Bootcamp in my opinion but Bootcamp definitely helps in preparing. The first time I got a 23 and the second time I got a 22.

Math: MUCH easier than Bootcamp and really on par with the math section of DAT Destroyer and DAT Qvault. I especially think Qvault was a really good resource for math. I am horrible at math and I didn't take the time to prepare adequately for this section. Primarily the Trig. The trig killed me. Part of it was because I personally knew a good amount of people who got into good dental schools with 15s and 16s. However I do not suggest the gamble I took because these are all grad students who had Masters under their belt.

Bio: 21
    Gen Chem: 18
    Orgo: 25 :pompous:
    PAT: 19
    Reading: 22
    Math: 16

AA: 20 and TS: 20

smileygirl711, pasteriori and 510586 like this.
  11. clutchfans

2+ Year Member

@BeyonceFan1226 5 balacing redox reaction questions? That's really rough.

12. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thank you for such an in depth post! What were you averaging on reading bc and math qv?

13. BeyonceFan1226

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    @clutchfans exactly! They were questions like " What is the coefficient in front of Mn04-" or they would give you an ionic equation and ask how many waters were needed. I took too long on those problems, rushed, and than guessed because I wasn't confident in my knowledge and I didn't want to dip into my Orgo time.

@510586 I only took four reading exams on Bootcamp: 17/18/18/20 and math qv ranged from 15s to 17s. DAT Qvault had pretty similar trig questions to the real deal and the math in general.

pasteriori likes this.
  14. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Alright sweet thank you!

pasteriori likes this.