Difficulty of getting a PR and then applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wugui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've an engineering degree so I can theoretically obtain PR before applying.
How long does the process normally take?
In that case, is it easier of harder to apply as a local rather than as an international?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've an engineering degree so I can theoretically obtain PR before applying.
How long does the process normally take?
In that case, is it easier of harder to apply as a local rather than as an international?
Thanks!

Pros and cons both ways.

The major pro is that if you're domestic, your costs are minimal (except for Bond University); med school costs ~7k/yr at UQ for domestics and 50k/yr for internationals.

However, if you're international, your chances of getting accepted are substantially higher. It is exceedingly difficult to get into med school at UQ as a domestic post-grad student because the vast majority of offers are made to students directly out of high school via a 6-year BSc/MBBS pathway. It's a trade-off, really. If you want in, apply as an international. If you want to save your dollar, try your best to get PR first, but don't get upset if you get rejected.

And btw, it's extremly difficult to get PR just because you have an engineering degree. There's a point system that you need to look into that extends far beyond just your degree.