1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty of Kaplan vs. actual DAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Schnitzels, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Schnitzels

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys. Yesterday I took my first full length practice DAT using the Kaplan blue book test. The level of difficulty of the science, PAT, and QR questions were about what I expected. But the RC was sooooo much easier than I expected, it makes me wonder if it's a legitimate representation of what to expect on the actual DAT. The 3 reading passages were all science related. Is this standard? What has been your experience?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 997GT3

997GT3 There is no substitute.

Dental Student
  4. washingtonDAT

Pre-Dental
    RC on kaplan is much eaiser

5. ElectraOnAzalea

Dentist
    yeah, i thought the reading comprehension on the actual DAT was pretty tricky. Most of the questions were pretty confusing. I actually though the science part of the DAT was much easier than kaplan though, but who knows.

6. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Does reading the question , then hunting for the answer still work?

7. marscole

marscole Junior Member

i think it might work for some passages but not all...

8. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    i got a 20 on RC the first time i took the DAT by hunting for answers. the second time i got a 17 using the same method..... so either it only works for some passages or i'm just ******ed :rolleyes:

jb!:)

9. rusky

What does Kaplan people say about RC and how to go about it? I took a sample test and looked like I had to read the passages first and couldn't just hunt for answers

10. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If I remember Kaplan taught some kinda of mapping strategy where you read each paragraph looking for key words, topic sentences, etc. I read each paragraph then answered the questions corresponding to that part of the passage. I left all the... what does author think, what would be a good title for the passage, what is the attitude or tone of the passage, who is the author writing to type questions for the end. My scores with Kaplan seemed consistent with what I got on test day. I was scoring 20-22 on Kaplan and made a 20 on test day.