-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Difficulty of Post Bacc Classes
Started by EarDoc6
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted248403
How long is a piece of string?
Seriously, what kind of question is that? which program? which class? whats your background?
Way too many variables, plus there is no real answer
I could tell you Bio is easy and Orgo hard, and you find the opposite.
Seriously, what kind of question is that? which program? which class? whats your background?
Way too many variables, plus there is no real answer
I could tell you Bio is easy and Orgo hard, and you find the opposite.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha robflanker, I actually did laugh at your response. Sorry, I was in between classes when I wrote it and I only had a few seconds to spare.
I have my B.S. in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and I am currently a 1st year Doctoral student in an Audiology program.
I have a 3.74 cumulative undergraduate GPA but I am worried that I may have difficulty in chemistry and physics. I applied to SUNY Stony Brook and William Paterson for Spring 2010.
You are right, there is no real answer... I guess I just answered my own question.
Thanks!
I have my B.S. in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and I am currently a 1st year Doctoral student in an Audiology program.
I have a 3.74 cumulative undergraduate GPA but I am worried that I may have difficulty in chemistry and physics. I applied to SUNY Stony Brook and William Paterson for Spring 2010.
You are right, there is no real answer... I guess I just answered my own question.
Thanks!

Rob is right -- you'll get 20 different answers from 20 different people.
But for what it's worth, by far the hardest prereq for me was the second semester of Gen Chem. The second semester of physics was almost as bad, but I found both semesters of Orgo and Bio to be pretty fun and light-hearted.
But for what it's worth, by far the hardest prereq for me was the second semester of Gen Chem. The second semester of physics was almost as bad, but I found both semesters of Orgo and Bio to be pretty fun and light-hearted.
Yes, I am currently attending Montclair for Audiology, however, I am considering pursuing medicine and starting a post-bacc program. I haven't made up my mind yet. I am not leaving because I don't like the program, in fact, I absolutely love the program. I just feel that medicine is my calling and I've been trying to put this thought in the back of my head for months but I am ready to pursue my dream.
D
deleted248403
Do you realize the diff between post-bacc and SMP?
How many of the prereqs have you done? And how did you do in them?
How many of the prereqs have you done? And how did you do in them?
Yes, I know the difference between a post bacc and a SMP. Right now I am in an Audiology program but I am considering a career change. I do not have any pre req's at all, which is why I am doing a post bacc. Audiology was asking me if I was taking classes at Montclair because he/she PM'd me about the audiology program and I was giving them some information, and now they see me posting on the post bacc forum. I know, it's somewhat confusing.
Like others have said, it's all about what you are taking. If you need to take the basic pre reqs like Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2 and Physics 1and 2 then I would say that they aren't necessarily hard in themselves, but you will need to do alot of work in order to do well, especially if you don't have a science background. If you are from a non sci background its basically all about memorization and connecting different concepts, this takes time. Chem and Physics are more math based so repetition is needed in order to become comfortable with the formulas and ideas and how they are applied over many different practice questions.
So in general its not so much the subject matter, but the amount of time it will take to cover it all, if you are reasonably smart, committed and have good study habits you should be fine.
So in general its not so much the subject matter, but the amount of time it will take to cover it all, if you are reasonably smart, committed and have good study habits you should be fine.
Dude apply to Byrn Mwar, it won't be easy but the literally train you in the sciences necessary for medical school
Why do lots of people say chem 2 is hard? i have not taken it, but what makes it so difficult?
I guess everyone has his or her own reasons, but I took it in a condensed summer session and I found the material very dry, nebulous and math-heavy. Kinetics and thermodynamics never really made sense to me. I kind of got the impression we just played with a bunch of fancy numbers, waved our hands and pretended like we'd defined the nature of chemical equilibrium.
But then again, these things are experimentally proven (as much as they can be), so if the physical sciences and theoretical lab work are really your cup of tea, you might love Gen Chem II.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
