Difficulty with shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elewynne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't find a thread quite like this via search. I've contacted several physicians I know or my close family knows for shadowing opportunities. All three that I've heard back from thus far have made the comment that "we are not supposed to let folks shadow us unless they're already medical students in medical school." Of the three, one let me shadow him for a full day at his office ("under the radar" so to speak), but he said I wouldn't be able to shadow with him at the hospital because of the above reason. The other two gave me some nice advice via the phone but had to decline. Once cited it was for insurance reasons that they're only allowing actual medical students in medical school to shadow.

Three data points isn't much to go off of I know, but since all three I've spoken with so far have cited this issue, I was wondering if anyone else has come across this? Are there certain practices or locations that are more difficult to get shadowing experience with? Maybe I'm asking the wrong people (OB/GYN, pediatrician, family medicine so far). :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the policies are, but I was able to shadow my own ob/gyn both at her clinic and in the hospital. I observed vaginal births and even scrubbed in for c-sections. I did need to complete the formal security clearance / vaccinations for the hospital.

That would be amazing to observe. The one doctor who let me shadow anyway was an OB/GYN, I would have loved to accompany him to the hospital side for deliveries. He said it was a matter of hospital policy. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The way I got my shadowing was first by volunteering the hospital for a year. I made myself known and liked. And after a year, I asked people in the hospital if they can hook me up with a shadowing experience. Since they already liked me, they were able to pull some strings for me and I was able to shadow.

This kills two birds with one stone: experience in a clinical setting and seeing what a doctor do.

If you don't have enough time for that, you can just cold-call. The more you call, the more chance someone will agree.

Thanks for the input AD04. I've lined up volunteering at a ED in a local hospital which I should be able to start in January once they train me. The coordinator said it's a fairly quiet shift (8-midnight on Sundays) and she said I should have lots of opportunity to get to know the doctors. She hinted that if they know I'm interested in medicine and am willing to work hard they'd likely be willing to help me get more experience as well. Definitely hoping that will it lead to more opportunities!

I'd keep calling if I were you. Shadowing is usually much more enlightening than a typical volunteer gig. I learned more/saw more in one day of shadowing an ER doc than I learned/saw in two years of volunteering at an ED. (I'm not knocking the volunteer experience, they definately need the help, and it looks great on your applications.)

I had several people rebuff my attempts to shadow. Even the county coroner snubbed me. I struck gold with a rural hospital in my area. They're way less formal than the "big" hospitals. If you can swing it, do both. Volunteering gives the adcoms a warm fuzzy feeling and shadowing will get you the clinical experience that you're craving.

I didn't find a thread quite like this via search. I've contacted several physicians I know or my close family knows for shadowing opportunities. All three that I've heard back from thus far have made the comment that "we are not supposed to let folks shadow us unless they're already medical students in medical school." Of the three, one let me shadow him for a full day at his office ("under the radar" so to speak), but he said I wouldn't be able to shadow with him at the hospital because of the above reason. The other two gave me some nice advice via the phone but had to decline. Once cited it was for insurance reasons that they're only allowing actual medical students in medical school to shadow.

Three data points isn't much to go off of I know, but since all three I've spoken with so far have cited this issue, I was wondering if anyone else has come across this? Are there certain practices or locations that are more difficult to get shadowing experience with? Maybe I'm asking the wrong people (OB/GYN, pediatrician, family medicine so far). :oops:

I understand where you are coming from. I tried for the last 3 years to line up shadowing. My first issue came when I graduated and was kicked off my dad's insurance. That's when I found out I needed insurance (for liability issues), TB skin tests, and vaccinations (Hep B and updated Tetanus).

To make a long story short. I called several doctors (hospitals and clinics) at first and only received a response from a manager telling me this spring they may allow it. I called some more due to my persistence and was able to get 2 doctors (Fam med and neurosurgery) to agree to it last week. Of course, I had to go through the proper channels with shots and compliances, but I just completed ~9 hours of Fam Med shadowing and I am welcome to come back and shadow a D.O. at the organization. I went back to hospital to get clearance to shadow the surgeon during his surgery, and guess what? I was told I only needed to sign a compliance form and wear a job shadow name tag (no vaccinations or insurance required) and it took 2 min top after reading what I was signing.

You will definitely come to roadblocks but be persistent and you will reach your goals. I thought I didn't have a chance, but I kept at it. It will be hard but there is definitely a physician willing to allow you to shadow them. Try small clinics first. They may get busy and forget to call you back or the nurse may forget to pass the message. Keep at it because honestly I wasn't considering Fam Med but I have seen some stuff and gotten good incite to the entire process. I had trouble mostly due to graduating and becoming more nontraditional. Also, once you find one to shadow, they may point you to others who are more receptive.

Good Luck!

I asked one of my docs during an appointment if I could shadow him and he was totally cool about it. BUT, the hospital at which he worked had some serious rules for how many hours and time I could come in, so I ended up shadowing him at another clinic at which he worked one day a week. That place was much more informal and didn't have all the bureaucratic stuff or forms to deal with like the academic hospital.

Moral of the story: look at doctors' offices and clinics that are not directly associated with a large medical center. They're usually more laid back and willing to let you come in more often.

I'll definitely take a look at some smaller clinics. The doctors I am familiar with personally are at larger centers so that's quite possibly the problem :)