Digestive enzyme help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

Any of you have an easy way to remember the digestive enzymes? I.e., function and what secretes it? Such as ___ cells located in the ___ secrete ___ which functions to ___? I feel like I always get shaky when it comes to these.

Members don't see this ad.

Well for Parietal and chief cells, I've learned after getting it wrong many times lol...Chief cells secrete pepsinogen, not parietal cells. It's the opposite (not p to p). G cells secrete gastin, which stimulates parietal cells which stimulates HCl production. Some you can try to guess by their name, like cholecystokinin has something do to with bile, since chole = bile. Enterogastrone has something to do with intestines (entero) and the stomach (gastr) I guess I don't really have anything helpful, I just try to memorize the pathways and visualize them when it comes to practice problems. I also took a medical terminology class and that helped :)

Reactions: 2 users
Well for Parietal and chief cells, I've learned after getting it wrong many times lol...Chief cells secrete pepsinogen, not parietal cells. It's the opposite (not p to p). G cells secrete gastin, which stimulates parietal cells which stimulates HCl production. Some you can try to guess by their name, like cholecystokinin has something do to with bile, since chole = bile. Enterogastrone has something to do with intestines (entero) and the stomach (gastr) I guess I don't really have anything helpful, I just try to memorize the pathways and visualize them when it comes to practice problems. I also took a medical terminology class and that helped :)
Thank you for this! I'm starting to learn them a bit too from always getting them wrong. I was able to anticipate that parietal cells secrete histamine as I was reading your response though, so maybe I'm picking some stuff up;)

Thank you for this! I'm starting to learn them a bit too from always getting them wrong. I was able to anticipate that parietal cells secrete histamine as I was reading your response though, so maybe I'm picking some stuff up;)
I just got a mini panic attack lol. I had to google it, but parietal cells respond to histamine, not secrete it!! Mast cells and basophils secrete histamine! Be careful :dead:

Reactions: 2 users