Technology Digitizing prints

Started by J.opt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

J.opt

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have several somewhat important photo albums that I want to get digitized. I have a scanner, and I tried it, but it sucks. It’s extremely time consuming, and the image quality is not very good (I also suck at editing the pictures). Is there a place where I can have this done cheaply? I saw a place online, but it was expensive, and didn’t seem trustworthy.

Thanks.
 
do u have the original film? if so, you might try going to a local photo developing place and have urs profesionally scanned in. should be pretty quick...resolution is something like 2000x3000 (6mp). on the other hand, if u just want some normal quality prints for 4x6, take ur 35mm film to places like savons, costco, target, (stay away from walmart), and have reprints done and also have a photocd made. cost is typiclly $4 for photocd + prints at 1200x1600 (2mp). i've tried walmart before and that quality sucked. they use the fuji frontier printers. better choice would be a place that has kodak/noritsu printers.

as w/ any scanning project, it's essentail that u have a good graphics editing program like photoshop or at mininum gimp (freeware). once u're done, u have to remove dust/scratches (pretty much automatic), and do a lot of sharpening to make it look decent.
 
bulldog said:
do u have the original film? if so, you might try going to a local photo developing place and have urs profesionally scanned in. should be pretty quick...resolution is something like 2000x3000 (6mp). on the other hand, if u just want some normal quality prints for 4x6, take ur 35mm film to places like savons, costco, target, (stay away from walmart), and have reprints done and also have a photocd made. cost is typiclly $4 for photocd + prints at 1200x1600 (2mp). i've tried walmart before and that quality sucked. they use the fuji frontier printers. better choice would be a place that has kodak/noritsu printers.

as w/ any scanning project, it's essentail that u have a good graphics editing program like photoshop or at mininum gimp (freeware). once u're done, u have to remove dust/scratches (pretty much automatic), and do a lot of sharpening to make it look decent.
The thing is that I don’t have the film, just the prints. I’m going to call Costco to see if they can scan the prints for me. And even if I had the film, I would have to get a new set of prints in order to get the CD.
Someone told me about those photo-kiosks at Walgreens. I know I can scan the pictures there, but I am yet to check if I can get a CD from it.