Dilemma - Listing Schools/Transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Weird

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

I am planning on applying to medical school for the 2022 cycle, but I have several questions regarding the listing of schools enrolled/classes taken previously.

Background:
In the past, I had briefly enrolled at a university and had signed up for classes initially; however, I ultimately decided to drop (NOT withdraw) the classes BEFORE they started and withdrew from the university without any listed courses or grades on the transcript. I have contacted the university (registrar) and they do not have anything on file or in their system in terms of transcript/courses/grades/etc. I did check with the National Student Clearinghouse and they do have a record of me being "enrolled" for a semester at this university.

Questions:
- Do I still have to report this university on AMCAS even though there is essentially an empty transcript with no information regarding courses or anything else (remember, I dropped the courses before they even started).
- If I did have to report this on AMCAS, how would I go about listing the University or courses (no transcript record or recollection of that info) and what would be required in terms of essentially sending an empty transcript, which the university might not even be able to provide?

I do apologize for the lengthy post! Any help or guidance regarding this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe AMCAS applies to the following if an student withdrew during the acceptable add/drop period. This includes withdrawing entirely from the UG college
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=40
A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period and does not appear on your transcript.
Right. The problem is, that instruction contemplates that the student actually took some reported courses at that school that would be reflected on the transcript. OP's problem, if he listens to you, is that the National Clearinghouse is going to report that he was enrolled, and that's going to present its own set of issues if he doesn't list the school, while he has no transcript to produce if he does list it. I agree with @LizzyM that OP needs to receive written guidance from AMCAS on this.

Reactions: 1 user
This circumstance is not covered in the AMCAS instructions. I recommend contacting AMCAS in writing and asking for guidance on this mater.
Right. The problem is, that instruction contemplates that the student actually took some reported courses at that school that would be reflected on the transcript. OP's problem, if he listens to you, is that the National Clearinghouse is going to report that he was enrolled, and that's going to present its own set of issues if he doesn't list the school, while he has no transcript to produce if he does list it. I agree with @LizzyM that OP needs to receive written guidance from AMCAS on this.

Thank you both so much for your suggestions! Yes, I agree that the best course of action would be to email/write AMCAS regarding this matter. I will definitely go ahead and see if I can't receive any further clarification.

I believe AMCAS applies to the following if an student withdrew during the acceptable add/drop period. This includes withdrawing entirely from the UG college
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=40
A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period and does not appear on your transcript.

Thank you so much for digging up this piece of information! Unfortunately, as KnightDoc had mentioned, I most likely still have to report the university on AMCAS and that does produce some issues without there being an available transcript.