Dilemma, need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egil_skallagrimsson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go with 1. Sorry, but I think organic is just too important.

I think you'll be hell bent to find orgo classes online, but even if you do... better make sure its equivalent to the traditional one. This **** isn't designed for a working non-trad, I felt your pain. In the end your application must look like everyone else's. I thought being 40 would earn points, it didn't. You just have to have the clinical hours, courses, and shadowing period. Either fit it in or quit. Sucks I know, but so far I think the sacrifices have been worth it. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know where you are coming from. I wound up piecing together 3 part-time jobs around my undergrad schedule. Number 1 is your best option, especially since O-Chem usually requires a lab sometime during the sequence.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, if you only take the first you can still apply, then if/when accepted you can finish the second (or try to get a waiver). Biochem is becoming a common substitute for ochem 2, so giving yourself flexibility could be good.

I liked getting to take both since as a non trad, non bio/Chem person with a middle of the road GPA, it looks nice to have a bunch of As at the end of my transcript. You have a great GPA, so it's likely just for the requirement, which you only have to complete before matriculation.

I would not do them online. I've heard people take biochem online when other options are few. I think biochem online may be less of an issue since there isn't always a lab associated with it.

Thanks for the responses! I guess there may be one other option....what if I took it at the college an hour away and only went to exams (I can't commute 3-4 times a week at that distance since I already commute to work)? It would cost me half as much...My only worry is that I would miss a lot of the material presented in class and that there might be an attendance component....

No CC's nearby?

Not all MD schools accept CC credits in the pre-reqs, but most seem to. And non-trads get cut some slack on this.

I can't recommend online coursework. More schools seem to disallow them.

Well, I am a non-traditional student, I guess. I graduated a couple years ago and I've been working in research since. I planned on getting a PhD but decided against it. I would much rather go to medical school. I fulfilled all of my prerequisites except organic 1 and 2 while in college. Right now I am having severe issues getting these courses done while working. The colleges in my area are blood sucking parasites who charge 1000 to 1500 per credit. That means my only option for fulfilling them is to pay like half of my savings. I have sizable loans which pretty much prohibit me from moving out of the area.

My stats thus far are: 3.85+ GPA from a well known school
2.5 years of research experience, 1 year full time
planning on 150 hours clinical experience
50-75 hours community service
30-40 hours shadowing
not many activities in college

So my options come down to the following:
1) dish out the money and cry and pray my car doesn't break and that I don't lose my job
2) do online courses and apply to DO/MD programs that accept it

What would you do?

There is a community college nearby but they only offer organic I without a lab and I asked the instructor about what topics are covered and it seems woefully inadequate for the MCAT.

Thanks for the responses! I guess there may be one other option....what if I took it at the college an hour away and only went to exams (I can't commute 3-4 times a week at that distance since I already commute to work)? It would cost me half as much...My only worry is that I would miss a lot of the material presented in class and that there might be an attendance component....

You could email the professor and see what they say. My organic included a lab, some sort of discussion session, and class attendance. If you are upfront about your position and what you want to get out if it, they may be able to accommodate.

This would test your self-motivation, since you'd be tasked with reading the book/class notes without feedback, and then taking the tests. I did this to a lesser degree for a biochem course for the new MCAT. If I wanted to, I would have been able to take the standard credit biochem class on a pure independent study basis (required due to work schedule), but the time investment was too great.

You'd still need to take the lab, which would mean travel for tests and once weekly for the lab.